LM317HV and TL783 regulators--no stock

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

Recent posts here:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/the-official-g9-help-thread.17980/page-119
....raised my eyebrows. Sure enough, Mouser , Digikey, Allied, etc. won't have stock for the TL783 in TO-220 package until NEXT SUMMER! On a whim, I also checked stock for the LM317HV. Same story!

I did find some NOS of the 317HV (TO-220 package) at Jameco and placed an order. I didn't buy their entire stock (and they claim to have more available Sept. 2) so I left some stock on their shelves for other folks to purchase.

I seldom need the higher voltage regulators but don't want to be left empty handed in the future.

Strange Times.....

Bri

Hello Jon...thanks for the reply.

I clicked on the Mouser links you posted and they are for a "standard" LM317 versus the "high voltage" version LM317HV. Regardless, Mouser has no stock for the standard LM317 in the link you posted.

Onsemi version of the "standard" 317 (cut and pasted from Mouser):

Mfr. #: LM317TG

Stock: 0

On Order:

21,354 Expected 22-Dec-22

78,000 Expected 22-Feb-23

77,750 Expected 15-Mar-23

Factory Lead-Time:

36 Weeks

The STM version (cut and pasted from Mouser):

Mfr. #: LM317T

Stock:0

On Order:

85,649 Expected 27-Mar-23

48,000 TBD

Factory Lead-Time:

52 Weeks

Regardless, those are NOT the high voltage version of the 317.

As for the second link you posted for the TL783, Mouser has no stock with delivery info (cut and pasted from Mouser):

Mfr. #: TL783CKCSE3

Stock: 0

On Order:

1,324 Expected 31-Jul-23

11,000 TBD

Factory Lead-Time:

100 Weeks

Maybe stock levels in Europe are better than USA????

Bri

If in real need, you can always try some from china:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273089922694
I definitely wouldn't do that, I've heard personally from a board manufacturer horror stories about how in desperation they bought chips from China that couldnt be sourced anywhere else, produced an entire batch of boards and none of them worked brcause the ICs were fake.

.... I've heard personally ..... horror stories ....
Sounds a little bit like the "horror stories" spreaded about B*hringer products.

Did you ever buy from there and verify it for yourself ?
Or do you only tend to spread hearsay-horror-stories ?

BTW, I wrote:
"If in REAL need, you can always TRY some....."

Sounds a little bit like the "horror stories" spreaded about B*hringer products.

Did you ever buy from there and verify it for yourself ?
Or do you only tend to spread hearsay-horror-stories ?

BTW, I wrote:
"If in REAL need, you can always TRY some....."
I heard the horror story from the lips of the owner of the board manufacturing company himself, from whom I buy often and who told me that he lost tons to a client due to fake chips, when I needed a chip not in stock and I suggested to buy from China, his reply was "don't do it" and proceeded to tell me the anecdote. I don't spread hearsay and do not appreciate the hostility.

Last edited:
Those have been MIA for quite a while. I made some 4-rail PSU boards last December and then discovered I couldn't get these for the +48V rail (I know that the standard LM317s will probably work here, but I'm just persnickety about it). I ended up ordering some TL783s from someone on ebay here in the states and they seem to be fine.

For one offs buy whatever you can find, and test to get something that works. New production should never design in a part that is not going to be around (I am still in year two of my three year warranty running out but I feel lucky).

While working in manufacturing, we (you) usually get notice from parts makers when a component goes EOL (end of life). So you can make life time buys.

JR

Wow....I never knew TI sold direct in small quantities. I always ASSumed I would have to order thousands to buy direct. Are there any "gotchas" like a high minimum order dollar amount? I guess I'll have to sign up/log in to figure it out.

I also see the TL783 on their "Buy TI Parts" site......

Bri

As a matter of interest, most phantom power supplies use an NPN transistor to regulate with. The 48volts is not dissipated by the regulator, only a few volts to remove the ripple.
If that is what you are doing. Why not tell us what the ciruit is or at least the power supply type.
Can't be bothered to guess what it is you are doing anymore.
Crystal ball is all foggy.

I have no immediate need for the regulators. I've used them a few times in the past for various projects, and also needed them for repairs to equipment. I was concerned about the apparent lack of inventory for any future needs.

Bri

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electroni...management/linear-voltage-regulators?st=tl783
Stock arriving within two weeks. I would use an IRF19634GPBF, a 150v zener (Z4KE150A) a 100v zener (Z4KE100A) in series and a 47k 1W feed resistor and do away with the multitude of regulation components used at present.
That will give you a smooth 250v supply. If you want less voltage, use different value zeners. Keep R33 & R37.

Latest posts

Back