Looking for assistance adding indication lamps to preamp build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron_swanson

I have a point-to-point built vacuum tube pre-amp that I'd like to add some indication lights to so I can visually see - for example, when the phantom power is on or off. My build is sort of cobbled together build that I'm using to more-or-less using to learn using ( mostly ) odds and end parts that have accumulated in my parts bins. The basic preamp is working fine including 48VDC phantom power, so at this point I'm just trying to understand how to best add 'features'.

The power tranny is a Hammond 369JX - 500VCT, 6.3VCT secondaries.

Any suggestions on how to best add and power indication lights or where I might look to better understanding something like this? I would prefer using small indicators (3mm or 5mm LEDs?) over larger higher voltage panel indicators, but also aware that I may have restricted choices based on what is already in place. I've looked at both adding either linear regulation or a buck converter as options, but I'm still unclear about what might be best. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

The most obvious answer is to use the 6.3VAC heaters winding to power LEDs. Just strap a reverse diode across the LED and feed them via a suitable resistor. 680 ohms is a good starting point.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back