Looking for Custom SMPS designer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

I'm looking for someone experienced in designing SMPS's to provide a schematic for a simple yet reliable/robust circuit to be used in audio applications. It is essentially two power supplies that will be on one PCB, one that is +48V/1A (approximate current) and one that is +36V/500mA (also approximate current). Each voltage has to have a separate V- reference, hence two separate supplies. What I'm after is a bipolar +/-24V (+24, 0V, -24V) that has a minimum of 620mA per rail.

Normally I would figure this out on my own and ask questions along the way, but a potential client is wanting to purchase a prototype of mine and the time frame for building one is about one month. I have been using separate off the self PSUs but eventually I was going to need a single board PSU before I could release a commercial product if there was enough interest.

Ideally this would be taking two existing layouts for the different voltages and combining them. But since I do not have any layouts nor do I know enough about SMPS design to understand the various schematics found on the interwebs combined with the time factor I requiring myself to seek assistance. And this has to be solid without the need for testing or tweaking, so that also eliminates me from being the guy that designs the circuit.

I ultimately just need a schematic and a BOM. I have a local PCB layout guy that I use, but if you do already reliable layouts that can be combined as mentioned above then that would be helpful.

I do not know what this service would cost, so that would need to sorted upfront. Please email me at paul(at)scodovasound.com if you are experienced with SMPS design and if this would be of interest.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Potato Cakes said:
I ultimately just need a schematic and a BOM. I have a local PCB layout guy that I use, but if you do already reliable layouts that can be combined as mentioned above then that would be helpful.
I think you are likely to require the designer to also create the PCB because SMPS design is as much about the layout as it is about the schematic. I would be wary of anyone who just offers you a schematic.

Cheers

Ian

SMPS is a bit of a specialized field,  you might have some trouble finding someone qualified to do a one off for a reasonable price.

I would suggest getting some off the shelf PCB mount supplies.  Most gear manufacturers do not design their own SMPS.

Maybe my post is a bit silly but ... have you thought about using LTpowerCAD + LTspice and doing the job yourself?
(or TI webench power designer as well)

Cheers
JM

Last edited:
I did look at those and I'll have to dig into it more. I did manage to find two SMPSs from CUI that were within the dimensions I wanted and with sufficient current ratings. But long term I feel I'm going to have to be able to do this myself. I did not know about the TI program until a couple of days ago.

Thanks!

Paul

Maybe you should have a look at Meanwell Pcb blocks and build yours, with DC-DC step-up....I use them them with more filtering around for my audio designs...

Hello, Everyone,

I'm reposting here for the same thing. I've hit a brick wall trying to get figure out how to get the SMPS's I want to use to be quiet for pro audio applications. I was in discussions with a designer that would do the circuit but I have not heard from him in some time. I keep running into the same solutions when searching the internet some of which I've tried and have not worked and others I do not quite understand.

To reiterate from previous posts on other threads, the one thing that has worked with these particular PSUs is using a capacitor that is well beyond the recommended value from the manufacturer. This causes the PSU to power supply several times and then it becomes stable and everything works and the circuit is dead quiet. This obvious is not how this is to be done this method doesn't work with other similar circuits with more current draw.

Right now, I do not have time or bandwidth solve this on my own. I am on tour, trying to get a studio up and running, and I have a number of tube amps and other custom studio electronics to build. I have the PSUs I wish to use, I just need a circuit that properly filters/smooths the DC output. Any additional regulation I can do myself.

With all of that being said, I am looking for someone who is experienced in working SMPS's and getting them to work noise free in analog pro audio circuits. I can adapt the circuit to suit the various layout needs. I just need a tested schematic designed that will provide repeatable success.

Thanks!

Paul

Why do you need two separate SMPS on the same PCB when one 24V 3A SMPS plus two DC boost converter modules (like the XL6009) can get you 48V and 36V? these modules are easily obtained, so cheap and so tiny, you can design a simple single layer PCB to mount them.

Why do you need two separate SMPS on the same PCB when one 24V 3A SMPS plus two DC boost converter modules (like the XL6009) can get you 48V and 36V? these modules are easily obtained, so cheap and so tiny, you can design a simple single layer PCB to mount them.
Perhaps because both dc/dc convertors will inject significant noise into the 24V SPMSU output?

Cheers

Ian

Seems I need to update the original post. I'm looking for a bipolar +/-24V SMPS that is at least 620mA per rail. Seems like it should be easy enough to do but I'm struggling to get one to be quiet enough.

Thanks!
Paul

Last edited:
Seems I need to update the original post. I'm looking for a bipolar +/-24V SMPS that is at least 620mA per rail. Seems like it should be easy enough to do but I'm struggling to get one to be quiet enough.

Thanks!
Paul
Maybe you should stick to linear power supplies. It's what the community likes and approves. SMPS and DC-DC converters are bad, they will "definitely" inject unwanted noise and have no place in audio stuff.

As for me, I have yet to encounter one that does that, so I will continue to use them.

Maybe you should stick to linear power supplies. It's what the community likes and approves. SMPS and DC-DC converters are bad, they will "definitely" inject unwanted noise and have no place in audio stuff.

As for me, I have yet to encounter one that does that, so I will continue to use them.
For the audio circuits I am building and their intended use, they have to be SMPS.

Thanks!

Paul

My thinking just now is a remoted battery backed up dual rail op amp supply then local regulation closer to the load at a safe distance from any of the crap the smps puts out .

You may want to look at Capacitance Multipliers I have had some good luck with this before with SMPS filtering.
I have looked at this option. Again, the issue I am having is time and mental bandwidth with everything else with which I am currently involved. I'm at a point where I need help.

I've reached out to a manufacturing company that can do custom work and I am waiting to see what they say.

Thanks!

Paul

Doesnt Ivan (E1da cosmos) do smps design for a living , maybe he's worth having a chat with .

I'm watching this with interest; I'd also like an SMPS that doesn't seem to be among common offerings and I'd love to see what you manage to turn up and how cost-effective it is.

Your standard SMPS wrapped in a sealed black plastic enclosure isnt designed to last ,just like the garbage it supplies , it destined for the scrap pile in a few years .

You ask for a custom design/build SMPS.
Specs you asked: SMPS 30W • +/- 24V DC | 48V PhantomPower canceled
If you design a SMPS you can design in different directions:
• Mechanical: Space | weight | dimensions (plate)
• Performance: Universal AC input PFC | Efficiency | Input Noise | Output Noise | Precision Voltage | symmetric V/I regulation | high Isolation Voltage (Musicians / Medical)
• Economics: Price | Price/Performance | LongLife (no liquids inside = no electrolytic)

at this time we know that you cannot buy your solution of the shelf - but we don't know the direction the design and development has to go.
what we know ist the timeline: fast design > fast development > fast prototyping > fast production with parts that have no shortage today.

I hope you can serve us with more information about your needs.
the best way to find the optimal solution is based on the knowledge of the circuit to supply.
In this case we don't design a low noise power supply with 1mV ripple if your circuit has 10mV noise and 60dB PSRR (Power Supply Rejection Ratio)

Hucky Bridge • ex Applications Engineer ti•Burr-Brown Switzerland

Latest posts

Back