Looking for electret capsule manufacturer recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

I'm looking for a quality, dual diaphragm electret capsule to use an multi-pattern, side address small diameter condenser project. Does anyone here have any experience with electret manufacturers that they would recommend?

Ideally, I would like to use an small edge terminated style capsule (mini CK12) but I think a custom job like that would be very costly considering I would be needing a low quantity.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
That one is cardioid, however you can stack two on top of each other. This way you can align the diaphragms, which has it's advantages compared to dual diaphragm single capsule. Better phase coherence/response/off axis in omni ond F8.

Other than that the capsule found in Akg c4000b comes to mind.

That one is cardioid, however you can stack two on top of each other. This way you can align the diaphragms, which has it's advantages compared to dual diaphragm single capsule. Better phase coherence/response/off axis in omni ond F8.

Other than that the capsule found in Akg c4000b comes to mind.
The CAD E200 (gray and black) did this didn't it? Also it that literally on top of each other in a special mount, like what some stereo mics do, or is it back and front with a slight gap?

Does that capsule have a built in FET like the Primos?

Last edited:
Oh Potato Cakes, look at the capsule in the Electro-Voice RE200. It may satisfy your “mini CK12” needs. Fits right into a Sterling Audio ST31 too.
That would be great if I could find out who was making them for EV.
Oh Potato Cakes, look at the capsule in the Electro-Voice RE200. It may satisfy your “mini CK12” needs. Fits right into a Sterling Audio ST31 too.
Maybe I could just buy several of the ST31's and remove their capsules or use the body as a donor. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks!

Paul

Kingkorg likes this one, I just ordered one. Single diaphragm

New-ish electret capsule
This looks very interesting. Kingkorg has always been very helpful when doing mic mods so I would be inclined to get a few and do some tinkering. I would just have to figure out how to mount this in a side address configuration.

Thanks!

Paul

The CAD E200 (gray and black) did this didn't it? Also it that literally on top of each other in a special mount, like what some stereo mics do, or is it back and front with a slight gap?

Does that capsule have a built in FET like the Primos?
Primo caps in E200 did not have built-in FETs. Pretty sure Primo never did a 1/2" capsule with FETs. The E200 I believe just had two of the Primo EM21s used in the E100.

Has anyone ever heard of a dual-diaphragm electret?

Last edited:
It doesn't necessarily have to be electret. Those just seem to be easier to obtain than a 3/4" dual diaphragm condenser capsule. I'm still interested in ordering a number of those electrets that are linked above.

On a side note, I did buy a number of ST31s cheap as the body is closer to the dimensions that would house the components I wish to use.

Thanks!

Paul

Could be, not sure.
Just took a look at AKG's site, it says it requires 44-52v instead of the 9-52v of the C214, and the C4000b lists 9-52v as well. So it's definitely a true condenser, I heard it was electret, but people might be basing that on it looking like a C214.

Would you happen to know if there's something preventing the C4000b from having a figure 8 pattern, or is it just a weird design choice by AKG to have hypercardioid instead?

Just took a look at AKG's site, it says it requires 44-52v instead of the 9-52v of the C214, and the C4000b lists 9-52v as well. So it's definitely a true condenser, I heard it was electret, but people might be basing that on it looking like a C214.

Would you happen to know if there's something preventing the C4000b from having a figure 8 pattern, or is it just a weird design choice by AKG to have hypercardioid instead?
Electrets are true condensers. This has become a very unfortunate terminology. There are only pre-polarized and externally polarized condensers. Just because certain word usage is very common, doesn't make it correct.

The specified minimum supply voltage isn't neccesarily indicitive that it's not electret - the circuitry could require 44 volts min, for reasons other than polarizing the capsule (high headroom, for example), though not very likely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back