Looking for electret capsule manufacturer recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you elaborate on that? My impression has been that condensers often have less LF rolloff than handheld vocal-oriented dynamics (and better HF extension too).
I don't think i was clear enough in that reply. When i say not much character i meant condensers are mostly flat in the low end. Yes, there might be roll-off or even a cut, but there are hardly any curves, nulls, bumps. So even if there's a roll off or boost it is linear, and it can be easily compensated with an EQ. Dynamics are different they can have all kinds of shapes in the low end so compensation with an EQ can be tricky.
Either way it seems like there's not much information in the bass (the bandwidth is narrower) and you ought to be able to EQ it better than the HF, because boosting HF exacerbates any circuit hiss.

Am I wrong? Is there LF circuit noise (rumble?) that's a problem that limits your ability to boost the bass with EQ? I would think that LF rumble is usually ambient noise, e.g. from trucks driving nearby or room mode boom, not a mic issue per ser (unless you have a bad shock mount), so it's going to have the same ratio to LF signal whether it's boosted or not. (Boosting a weak LF signal will also boost any LF noise, but won't change the ratio.)
You are absolutely right.

Good day!
For the record, I have been used both the open and grill version of these condenser capsule, and a similar capsule which has a blue plastic back plate, with success in several microphones over the past couple of years - even before this thread, so I am feeling pretty stud after reading good reports from others here. [Perhaps someone will tell my wife I was right for a change! She won't believe ME . . .] :)

I put one of these capsules in a Samson G-Track and one with the blue back plate in a CAD GXL1800 with pleasing results over stock JLI 16mm type capsules. They work well with computer speech recognition applications and online Zoom meetings.

I prefer the versions with white or metal back plates over the version with a blue plastic backplate, although it is totally subjective, and I cannot really say why. I second KingKorg's assessment they are realy good with speech up close and personal.

I, too, am amazed they arrive safely in a glassine baggie inside a grey plastic shipping bag, with no protective packaging. Crazy lucky, I guess.

Just my take - merely reinforcing the trend with my experience. James

blue backed condenser capsule front IMG_3429.JPGblue backed condenser capsule IMG_3425.JPG

Back