Looking for help from Germany

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicDaddy

GDIY Supporter
Short of the long while trying to obtain some film from a German distributor (only place that has stock) they have asked for my VAT #....  :eek:

Is there anyway I could ask someone from Germany to forward a package of film to the US?

They won't tell me so much as a MOQ so I'm not exactly sure on several details so much as to how funny a shaped package might be etc, or more or less how much of a pain the royal ass this might be....

ANybody?  Feel free to tack on some gdiy tax for the trouble.

Any advices?

If you're in the USA you don't need a VAT number and nor do they. All sales to non-VATable countries, like the USA, do not attract VAT

Try sending them an official-looking purchase order with your full address on it

Alternatively, get a German mailbox via Mailboxde.com and get the item onward shipped. Unfortunately, I suspect that way you have no option but to pay the VAT as it's being delivered to the EU

Nick Froome

Asking for a VAT number is their way of determining if you are a legit business or not.
More distributors do not want to sell to individuals.

It also helps them keep their business cleaner, they don't have to keep the VAT money to one side (VAT = Sales Tax) to pay the taxman at the end of the year.

I like PVisions advice - send them letterheaded notepaper from your business with an official looking order. Mention that as an internal customer you shouldn't be paying VAT for a product that will not be staying in the EU.

VAT laws are harmonized accross the EU BTW.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-exports-dispatches-and-supplying-goods-abroad

"VAT is a tax on goods used in the EU, so if goods are exported outside the EU, VAT isn’t charged. You can zero-rate the sale, provided you get and keep evidence of the export, and comply with all other laws."

More distributors do not want to sell to individuals.

This is what I suspect as well...  ::)  I even offered to pay MOQ to start production run (which is a lot of $$$)

Thank you guys for some options, I'll try the letterhead and if that won't suffice I'll have to resort to finding a forward service either official or personally.

I really appreciate your guys' adivce!  :D

Back