Looking for some specs on an isolation transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtZHP

We've got this North Hills Electronics 1116PA isolation transformer. It's used mainly for television signals. I'm trying to find some specs on it, but Google has been no help at all.
Any of you folks ever come across one of these? We're mainly interested in what sort of voltage differential it will handle. Suitable for lightning protection?
(We've got it on a cable run between two racks located in two separate buildings. I guess the thinking is if one building gets hit, there's no direct copper path to the rack in the other building.)

Nothing to do with DIY audio, but I figured I'd ask.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 9
I think I’ve seen one once, would expect similar/less than the ADC HUM-1, probably 500v or 1000v , certainly not multi kV.

I think I’ve seen one once, would expect similar/less than the ADC HUM-1, probably 500v or 1000v , certainly not multi kV.
I kind of thought so. I told my colleagues that I figured, best case scenario, it ends up acting like a really expensive fuse!

We've got this North Hills Electronics 1116PA isolation transformer. It's used mainly for television signals. I'm trying to find some specs on it, but Google has been no help at all.
Any of you folks ever come across one of these? We're mainly interested in what sort of voltage differential it will handle. Suitable for lightning protection?
No. It is used to isolate galvanically two distant circuits, where longitudinal noise could be very significant. The isolation voltage is probably around 500V, no more.
(We've got it on a cable run between two racks located in two separate buildings. I guess the thinking is if one building gets hit, there's no direct copper path to the rack in the other building.)
Protection against lightning involves very different techniques.

Fortunately, the other engineer informed me that the gear on one end of the cable will be moving into the same room as the gear on the other end some time in the coming months, rendering the whole thing moot. Hopefully, it happens before summer thunderstorms get rolling.

Latest posts

Back