Low Hum and SMOKE! Behringer Truth B2031 Monitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roachbeatz

I have an old set of Behringer 2031 active monitors that both seem to have the same problem, and the problem happened at different times for each monitor. I used these monitors for maybe 8 years and one day after a long studio session when no music was playing at all, one of the monitors began to produce a low frequency hum/buzz and began to start smoking so I quickly pulled the power cord.  It is not a 50 or 60hz type of hum. Like I mentioned, it almost buzzes, but it is a lower frequency.

A year or 2 later, the other monitor did the same thing. This one didn't have a chance to start smoking as I pulled the power immediately.

Similarly, the sound reminds me of turning on an old radio when a station has not been set. (NOT IN RESPECT TO HEARING WHITE NOISE, AGAIN, THIS IS LOW FREQUENCY HUM/BUZZ) Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

My question is does anyone have any ideas as to maybe where to start? Does this ring a bell to anyone as far as what part may have went out in them? I know the basics of soldering and testing certain things, but I am still quite a novice at it.

Currently a buddy of mine is checking them out for me and mentioned getting shocked by plugging in a TRS cable. Not sure if that lends a clue or not.

Active boxes?

Gets hot inside. Noise is probably worn out power caps. Smoke, uh. Will need to open either way. Not easy with those, I've heard.

Script said:
Active boxes?

Gets hot inside. Noise is probably worn out power caps. Smoke, uh. Will need to open either way. Not easy with those, I've heard.

Started smoking from the amp on the rear of the speaker.  Active as in powered monitors

And use search function of this forum. Mqgic ;)

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32643.0

Latest posts

Back