Lynx Aurora 16 repair question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

A friend came to me if i can repair his  second hand Lynx Aurora 16. Basically it needs recapping. Got the capacitors. But when looking at the bottom side of the pcb we saw that a ferrite had one of its legs tied to psu ground, but the other leg not soldered to the via. I can see that the leg end of the ferrite has some solder residue, but it is not soldered, it is "floating". The user bought it in 2010. It is the original model,with plated frontpanel, not the last with blue frontpanel.

Any help appreciated for if anyone with experience repairing this model.

Thanks a lot!

Jay x

Attachments

• aurora 16 TOP.jpg
    aurora 16 TOP.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 39
bottom picture:

Note: Sorry for the quality of images...2mb  mobile camera.. ::)

Attachments

• aurora16 BOT.jpg
    aurora16 BOT.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 20
I have the same one in repair. This jumper with a ferrite bead is exactly soldered.

Attachments

• P1060857.JPG
    P1060857.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 39
Hi korneev!

Ok!, Thanks! Good to know.

Something that the user noticed is that after using the unit for some hours, the front panel lights re-initialized, and stopped recording...

We suspect this is due to the bad shape of the filter caps, leading to current drops...

The idc cable from main PCB to front panel PCB is ok.

Jay x

These units suffer from terrible heat problems, they run too hot and they stop working

I had a problem with an unit in a studio I was recording. The Aurora 16 was so hot on the case that you could fry an egg there, I'm not exaggerating you couldn't even touch.
After a week recording there the unit started to loose some channels and then it completely stopped working.

i've seen many of these over the years, main issues are usually just the PSU...either caps have gone bad or sometimes issues with the power transformer. I think it has a molex type connector on at least one or more ends...double check that. also make sure the new caps you put in are identical in size and not touching the top panel. double check all the mounting hardware for the power transformer as well.

great sounding units but they definitely get VERY hot, be sure to leave space above and below.

outoftune said:
i've seen many of these over the years, main issues are usually just the PSU...either caps have gone bad

With the Heat level produced by the unit I'm pretty sure Electrolytic caps will not survive being it in the PSU or the circuit.

If you're going to replace the Lytic caps be sure to use at least 105º rated capacitors

Back