M160 body disassembly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12afael

I bought a second pair of M160, one need ribbon replacement but both have the xlr connector disconnected from the output transformer.
I think I saw an assembly diagram for this or a similar microphone but I can't find it again.

I read somewhere that there is a pin in the body that should be push in to take out the xlr assembly (the end of the mic) but still it does not move.

It would be useful to know how it is assembled. It is the transformer soldered inside the body? Or it is maybe the motor wires that needs to be removed first?

If someone have experience with this I appreciate the help.

Rafael

Hi Tim. yes I saw that one. What I need is to open the mic from the other end to inspect and re solder the output transformer.

The other links are useful thanks!

So the Info you need is how to open the Mic on the XLR side and how to solder the XLR correctly to the Trany right?

i think i remember back as i opened mine years ago and you are lokin for a screw under the black Logo Beyer Dynamics Germany M160 SN.....
With this screw you loosen the XLR connector and now you should be able to twist off the lower part of the housing without tearing the cables from the XLR by the rotation.
But I can also be wrong!
This depends on the model....
Sry for my English :)

Here you find the Wiring diagram:
https://mpe.berklee.edu/documents/studio/manuals/microphone/Beyer M160/Beyer M160.pdf

bl (blau) = Blue
ge (gelb) = Yellow

1622475696371.png
Hope this helps
Klimaschewski

thanks, yes I took out the xlr connector but it seems that the 4 M160 (black) I have all of them have the pin through the body and the lower part and those are assembled with epoxy or some kind of loctite. I have not been able to loose them. Heat have been suggested but there are some plastic parts inside so I have been thinking in some alternative. I can probably 3d print some kind of clamp but there is not much surface on the lower part. I was also thinking in an inductor heater but I don´t have one.

I think I will have to rebuild one of the transformers. Would be useful to know if they are glued in place or screwed maybe?

The M160 has been built multiple different ways over the years.

If you have small pins in the lower portion of the body, I normally push those into the body, and then am able to take the whole lower assembly off.

There is normally a set screw around the lower collar (where the serial number/model is printed), which is how the connector portion is held in place( I believe there is some form of adhesive as well), but undoing that doesn't normally get me any joy taking it apart.

On the 160's I've taken apart, the transformer was just wedged in there, wasn't screwed or glued. The M500 has a nice molded plastic shape that the transformer could insert into.

Hope this helps

ju

Last edited:
On the 160's I've taken apart, the transformer was just wedged in there, wasn't screwed or glued. The M500 has a nice molded plastic shape that the transformer could insert into.
Thanks Ju that is good information. maybe I can take the transformer out without taking the lower part of the mic. I´m confident I can solder it in place but I need to take it out for inspection and repair if necesary.

I think the hardest part is make the corrugation. I have install a new ribbon on a M260 but using the normal zigzag ribbon. make the correct ribbon require some rigs. I 3d printed some parts to help but still I don´t get consistency. maybe two of five are ok so it is very time consuming. I contacted Beyer and they service the microphones in germany. I was able to get some parts through the dealer here in finland. what I heard from them is that they don´t change the ribbon they need to change the whole capsule and is not available anymore as spare. so I suppose they change the whole capsule in germany if you send it for repair.

The transformer is 16mm wide and the lower opening is about 16mm too but on this particular microphone the lower part is dented. I´m not sure if it is possible to take out the whole transformer but I was able to open the can and take out the transformer.
It is rare to see photos of the inside of this mic. so here are the top of the can and the transformer itself.

I did a quick measurement of the transformer and it seems to be fine, I need to attach new wires but should be fine.

IMG_20210615_211007.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210615_211427.jpg
    IMG_20210615_211427.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210615_211001.jpg
    IMG_20210615_211001.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
Good news on the transformer! In all my years, I've never seen a transformer go bad, other than if something complete ripped the leads off.

Know that when Beyer services these microphones, they replace the motor with a new one.

The old motors are alnico, the new ones I've seen are neodymium. Some people are particular, and swear by the old ones.

Getting the Beyer microphones sounding right takes some effort.

Regards

ju

Last edited:
Know that when Beyer services these microphones, they replace the motor with a new one.

Replacing a complete motor when the problem is only a broken ribbon should be quite expensive.

Anyone knows the price they charge for replacing the complete motor?

Thanks

Good news on the transformer! In all my years, I've never seen a transformer go bad, other than if something complete ripped the leads off.
This was exactly the case. all the wires of the transformer were desoldered and one was cut inside the can. Some of the wires inside the microphone are just magnetic wire. So the varnish isolation will not protect well the conductor. if you pull too much the wires from the transformer it could damage the varnish and produce a short. here is an article about a similar problem Beyer ribbon microphone transformer

I will write this here because it can help someone else.
On the second mic from my last purchase (I have 4 now) there was no sound, the ribbon was in perfect condition so I suspected about the transformer. Luckily I found that there was a ding in the lower part of the grill of the mic and moving the capsule I had the sound back. I think the ding on the grill produced a short on one of the capsule wires. I put a little piece of tape to insulate the wire and it is working perfectly.

I manage to repair the transformer adding wires and isolation, I push it into the microphone and solder it, it was not that difficult using some tweezers. Now it pass audio but still needs new ribbons.
Strange thing is that the secondary have a mid tap. Not in the schematic so I just leave it disconnected. Does not seem to have too much noise. Anyway it is easy to detach the xlr connector and re wire it if necessary.
I measured the primary and secondary I will add the values tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_180158.jpg
    IMG_20210617_180158.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210617_182713.jpg
    IMG_20210617_182713.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210617_190423.jpg
    IMG_20210617_190423.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210617_190504.jpg
    IMG_20210617_190504.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 12
ok here are my measurements if they are useful for someone.

M160 output transformer. Mic serial 3331

Primary:
Dc resistance: 0.33ohm
Inductance: 560uH @1Khz

Secondary:
DC Resistance: 26.79ohm (12.62ohm mid tap 14.23ohm)
Inductance: 500mH @1Khz, 100mH @15khz

Latest posts

Back