M49 / M50 Bodies - All British Made - Vintage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

just waiting on some new electrolyte liquid for the nickel plating as my other stuff got contaminated from the tank heater!! not good i can tell ya.
will get the bath all up and running again and finish them off very soon.

regards

Spence.

Hi Guys,

new nickel plating bath has been sorted and is warming up as we speak!!
Will test out and as soon as fully operational i will finish this batch and get all M49 bodies out.
If your wanting to order please get in touch as this batch may go fairly fast as there are only 10 bodies left, so get them quick!!

regards

Spence.

Looks great Spence !  8)

But there seems to be some visible welding and the corner on the "top round part" looks... I don't know how to say this... grinded ? Difference in the color of the metal to put it simply.

HI Steph.b,

its not the greatest photo as the worktop is making the shiny surface look not as it is, there maybe a few little discrepancies but i am not a professional machinist this is DIY after all!!
I will put up some more photos with minimum interference from light etc and higher quality pictures.
There is certainly no grinding involved!!! :)

regards

Spence.

Don't worry, for DIY I find your work amazing !  8)

Yes, if you can put some higher quality pictures please, must be some reflections we see here.

Thank you,
Steph.

Hi Guys,

just to let you all know I will be finishing off 16 M49 bodies over the next 2 days, set back after setback and now finally am making headway. 5 are all polished and finished as of today, and all the bottom caps are polished and done.
Will finish the rest hopefully tomorrow, then post the ones that have been bought, then the others are up for grabs.
Let me know asap if anyone wants some.

regards

Spence.

Spence,
These are looking very nice!

I hope it is okay to offer a helpful suggestion to up the finish quality.

Having spent countless hours on lathes, and doing finishing work, I learned that finish quality is 90% prep... At least, ugh.

Are you using a closed CNC, open CNC, or non CNC lathe system?

If you can get/keep the bodies and rings in the chuck after turning down to size, stop a couple thousandths shy and run through a bunch of grades of silicon carbide (wet dry) sand paper.

If you sand up to 3,000 without skipping grits, you will have a beautiful, scratch free, flawless finish on those.

Watch the temp and time in the plating bath and that should help with the galling I see on the one closeup of the strap on the headbasket.

Know any one with a bead blasting setup? *grin*

Those make a pretty finish!

I have been thinking of doing a 47 with a bead blasted basket ring and bottom cap, but cladding the body tube in Hammerite both for aesthetics, and to reduce ringing.

Thoughts?

Thanks for showing your skills, your work is really great!

Any chance of a look at the rig? :)

John

Latest posts

Back