Making Barrel plugs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone ever attempted to make XLR barrel plugs?

Looking to make something similar except instead of phase reverse, it would have a built in attenuator. Would it best just to buy them and then convert them to my needs?

These can make them pretty easy:
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_1932196493/NA-Housing_detail.aspx
...allows you to use any 'D' size pieces on either end and are incredibly solid.

A neat trick I learned: Neutrik X series and XX series are built in reverse - on one the thread is on the body, on the other it is on the boot....so you can screw two bodies together to make ultra cheap adaptors!

Everything you need should be there:
http://www.neutrik.com/Secure30/getMedia?encoding=ISO-8859-1&client=neutrik&saveAs=true&saveAsName=8%20Accessories%20PG%202009-V8_E.pdf&mediaPath=D:\DATA\CLIENT\neutrik\media\downloads\&mediaSavedName=Media_1078981069.pdf&contentType=application/pdf

Axel

Hi Pucho,

I made some like this, and don't use them anymore, since they tend to get bashed since they stick out of the panel so far! I made replacements (18 all told!) inside the male end of  10cm mic leads, so they dont protrude any further than a regular XLR plug.

just my pennyworth . ..

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi Pucho,

I made some like this, and don't use them anymore, since they tend to get bashed since they stick out of the panel so far! I made replacements (18 all told!) inside the male end of  10cm mic leads, so they dont protrude any further than a regular XLR plug.

just my pennyworth . ..

ANdyP

I'll second that!

I've personally witnessed four individual outputs (the typical plastic PCB-mount RE'ANs) on a synthesizer being sheared off* by a moving speaker cabinet because 1/4"-to-XLR barrel transformers made the connectors stick out too far.  :'(  Since then, my tech riders have specified nothing but Countryman, Klark Teknik or similar DI's.  All my adapters are on short pigtails for the same reason.

*that's worth A LOT of pennies!

-Bob

Back