Marik Travel Report

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Casey

Just got off the phone with Mark. His clutch blew out about two hours out of Vegas last night around 2:00 a.m. His Sister in law is headed out to get them. Total bummer. I had his ribbons set up to record trombone and sax tonight at Clancy's Crab Shack out in Glendale. Will update as I hear. He's now due into LA around 3 or 4 this afternoon and has to drive back at some point early next week to retrieve/fix the car.

Brent Casey

5:47 p.m.
Spoke with Mark about 20 minutes ago. He is in Baker, California - home of the world's largest thermometer. He was having his picture taken next to some aliens.
Car status:
Good news! A clutch has been secured in Las Vegas and the car is now in the hands of a drunk mechanic who reportedly told Mark, "Ish not gon be problem to fishx." He should be here in time tomorrow for the Marcus Miller free concert and some recording/jamming afterwards.

Brent Casey

Oh no, Mark doesn't deserve this. Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans JL.

I know Mark is the ribbon microphone man, tell me he's the piano player too?

I'm downunder, been emailing Mark re mics. Seems he's a good bloke (as we say down here).

Larry

[quote author="crazydoc"]If he wouldn't be speedin' and poppin' that clutch all the time, it would last longer. :grin:[/quote]

Why to drive, then :?: :green:

Good news! A clutch has been secured in Las Vegas and the car is now in the hands of a drunk mechanic who reportedly told Mark, "Ish not gon be problem to fishx." He should be here in time tomorrow for the Marcus Miller free concert and some recording/jamming afterwards.

Finally, 48 hours later ( :!: ) I am in LA.
That mechanic is quite a character. Being priviledged ( :grin: ) to spent some time with him, I figured, he is at his best when he IS DRUNK. When sober, his hands start to be shaky, he cannot get focused on things. He would start working on the car and then easily distracted, forget about car and go somewhere. A few hours later he would come back in much better mood with words "OK maaan, we'r gong da'nhil. Wll start working with amazing amount of courage and speed, lovingly talking to each unscrewed bolt: "You'r history, maaan." In 15-20 minutes he would remember he has to make a phone call.... and disappear again for 2-3 hours :evil:
Finally, I figured it is much better to bring him some beer, so I got a... 18 pack of his: "The only beer worth drinking--Bud". Actually, it was my very smart move. He seemed to be much happier, and more relaxed, then. Three hours later we were ready to hit the road. Needless to say, the whole 18 pack was... gone. It seemed though, the guy felt quite lonely, so he was almost begging us to stay there one more night, so we could go with him to the only bar in the "downtown".
Unfortunately, by that time we had to be already long gone, so we probably missed lotsa stories and dramas of this little, but very colorful village.

BTW, he did a very good job, and my old 87, 325e Bimmer felt almost like new.
The irony was that it was Sunday night, and it was a very heavy traffic--everybody was getting back to California from Las Vegas, so we were driving about 25Mph--about the same speed the car was able to make after clutch blew.

Baker! Oh my god! That's where Hunter S Thompson saw the phantom hitch hiker!
Stinking crossrods next to Death Valley! Last known home of the Mansion family!
I bet your glad to get the hell out of there!
:guinness:
Did you try the land crab?
Is the Hardware Barn still there?
Do they still serve Ballentine Ale?
:razz:
give me a hollar if you want to stop by when you get to the Bay Area.
free caps and stuff!
cj

Baker! Oh my god! That's where Hunter S Thompson saw the phantom hitch hiker!
Stinking crossrods next to Death Valley! Last known home of the Mansion family!
I bet your glad to get the hell out of there!

Thanks CJ--good to know... at least now! I guess, I felt I should not leave the car there for a few days, go to LA, and then come back to take care of it.

[quote author="cjenrick"]
Did you try the land crab?
Is the Hardware Barn still there?
Do they still serve Ballentine Ale?[/quote]

All my time there I spent in the garage, trying to catch David (mechanic) and mildly remind him about the car--you know, for some reason he always tend to forget about it. :shock: I saw the Hardware Barn banner, though--not sure if it is open. The only three places I went to were tourist information (to ask where there is a garage):green: :green: :green:, Mad Greek restaurant, and Coco's. They also have Denny's there--you know--civilization :grin: .

[quote author="cjenrick"] give me a hollar if you want to stop by when you get to the Bay Area.
free caps and stuff!
cj[/quote]

I definitely will. PM me with your phone#.

Back