Mastodon

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am thinking of joining Mastodon as a safe alternative to Twitter but I am having a tough time deciding which server to join. Anyone here already a member?

Cheers

ian

I’m a member at [email protected]

I’m still getting my sea legs, and only a few of my favorite accounts are posting regularly in the space, but I feel like it’s going to get better.
I’m still learning to connect with people across servers, and apparently you can change and join another one at any point.

You leave some content when you change but at the beginning, it really doesn’t matter.
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-migrate-to-different-mastodon-server/
Maybe see you there Ian?

I was considering Mastodon, but discovered a few things about the code guys that were not exactly "integrity"...
I joined CounterSocial a year ago but honestly Twitter is more fun, although its days are definitely numbered...namely numbered at probably $13 a month pretty soon.

CounterSocial is not as conservative "bent" as perhaps Twitter has become...it is founded and maintained by a former US Military Cyber Security guy known as the "th3je5t3r" (the jester)...

I'm honestly not sure about the reality of his hactivism...I just know he DOES know his code and his site is pretty darn secure and he's trying to offer a user experience that can be tailored to whatever you want.

Interesting perspective. Mastodon is FOSS so the source code is available for anyone to inspect. Mastodon servers are distributed which gives you the freedom to select a server in line with you own needs. I am not sure I would be happy signing up to a closed source platform run by a one man band. Bur of course YMMV.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back