MBHO CK12 Capsule--KA1000N and KA1100?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C12VR

I am interested in using the MBHO/Haun CK12 for a C12 build, but the large diaphragm capsules available, the KA1000N and the KA1100, have one directionality, cardiod and omni respectively. Does this mean that the capsules are unsuitable as a traditional double-sided CK12, or is the directionality a function of the wiring inside the head units? This seems to be the version of the CK12 best suited to my needs, with a lower presence peak at 8kish. Before I spend $500 on a head unit I would like some assurance that I can use it for my purpose.

I have written MBHO but have not received a response.
I am not familiar with their web offerings but I got a haun ck12 from Andreas Grosser (RIP) for one of my 251 builds that supports all patterns…dual backplates/diaphragms. It’s tuned darker than most ck12 versions I have heard, really nice capsule. I believe it was around $550.

I am not familiar with their web offerings but I got a haun ck12 from Andreas Grosser (RIP) for one of my 251 builds that supports all patterns…dual backplates/diaphragms. It’s tuned darker than most ck12 versions I have heard, really nice capsule. I believe it was around $550.
yes it is precisely this darker tuning that I desire.

From my understanding, it’s the same capsule in both, just wired one way or the other to work with their modular bodies with no polar switching

Are they really that low-priced? Last time I looked, I thought they were about $1k.

If we're talking near the range of $1K, then I know someone (and I'm not naming anyone) that has a really good grip on one of the employees of Campbell Transmitter. Not kiddin'. At that price I can score you an appointment for having a CT12 made - tuned to Tim's current favorite AKG specimen or to any CK12 you love and you'd like to have a newborn twin for..

The point is that Tim is massively overworked and underpaid producing for his commercial clients already, but sometimes there's room for some friendly arm-twisting - and I'd be happy to apply this twist for you, if you pay him accordingly....

/Jakob E.

yes it is precisely this darker tuning that I desire.
Yes me too. It has plenty of “air” but no 6-10k massive peak. For my taste it’s more versatile and useful than the Tim Campbell, which is also an amazing capsule but very bright. Again..for my taste.

(..you are aware that Tim can dial-in to any version that you desire, within the CK12-family? It's just that if his commercial customers desire some specific version as reference, those become most common in the wild. I'm not much for big 6KHz either, but some US manufacturers really like and lust after this..)

the sizzle at 6k is mostly the space between the two halves IIRC. it's not hard to tune mechanically, just hard to get right where you want it. tim does this either because of taste or manufacturer request and can just as easily not do it.

Last edited:
Tim Campbell is my ideal to be honest, but I have tried many times to get on his waitlist, to no avail. I am not willing to spend 1k on the capsule, however. Canford in the UK has the head unit for 495 and shipping to US.

If we're talking near the range of $1K, then I know someone (and I'm not naming anyone) that has a really good grip on one of the employees of Campbell Transmitter. Not kiddin'. At that price I can score you an appointment for having a CT12 made - tuned to Tim's current favorite AKG specimen or to any CK12 you love and you'd like to have a newborn twin for..

The point is that Tim is massively overworked and underpaid producing for his commercial clients already, but sometimes there's room for some friendly arm-twisting - and I'd be happy to apply this twist for you, if you pay him accordingly....

/Jakob E.
thanks for the offer, but I am not willing to go above 500.

Sure understanding that. Should I press him about 500 then, just to see if that gets us anywhere? :) it's been way too long since we've had access to his work around here, and I know he's not all that happy about having abandoned us micro-customers to go work for the industry..

Sure understanding that. Should I press him about 500 then, just to see if that gets us anywhere? :) it's been way too long since we've had access to his work around here, and I know he's not all that happy about having abandoned us micro-customers to go work for the industry..
Nah it's cool; I understand the value of his labor, I just can't justify paying it right now. I don't want to insult anybody. Thank you so much for your kindness. :)

If you really can get for $495, grab it; especially since it’s exactly what you want as stock, since your pinnacle is out of reach; a custom one from him at that.

Alternatively, I know Beesneez customizes, but he definitely has a cue. He’ll definitely get to it though, eventually. I bet OPR does custom-tuning as well.

If you really can get for $495, grab it; especially since it’s exactly what you want as stock, since your pinnacle is out of reach; a custom one from him at that.

Alternatively, I know Beesneez customizes, but he definitely has a cue. He’ll definitely get to it though, eventually. I bet OPR does custom-tuning as well.
Are you sure the KA1000 can be used as a CK12?

I've considered doing a CK12 but the design changes I'd have to make to accommodate either my disability or mass production would make it too easy to clone. An easily mass producible three chamber true CK12 is not something I would unleash on the market without significant discussions with existing parties.
isn't a CK12 inherently difficult to make? What changes could be implemented to make a "true" capsule more reproducible? It would be awesome if a CK12 with that inimitable proximity effect and rejection was more affordable.

isn't a CK12 inherently difficult to make? What changes could be implemented to make a "true" capsule more reproducible? It would be awesome if a CK12 with that inimitable proximity effect and rejection was more affordable.
There have been some improvements in machining and new available materials recently, pretty sure I could get a three chamber CK12 down to only a few more parts than a k87 If I really sat down and tried. I think probably anyone who's worked on them could, they just don't, for any number of reasons.

Latest posts

Back