MBO Loudspeaker Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opacheco

Hi,

I bought a pair of rare AR239 MBO (Monte Brothers) loudspeakers recently but I have not any info about, I contected to the Montre Brothers company but I had any response at all. The loudspeaker components need some work because its surround suspension material need to be reemplaced. Does anyone have information about thes loudspeakers? I am searching about who manufacture these loudpeaker drivers and any info about its directivity response (of the complete cabinet assembly)?

I have attached a couple of pics, someone can identify the codes on the magnets maybe!

I will appreciate any help.
Thanks
opacheco.

Attachments

• FE6CA934-1EF9-4E05-9BA5-A0E9132EEA4E.JPG
    FE6CA934-1EF9-4E05-9BA5-A0E9132EEA4E.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6579.jpg
    IMG_6579.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6580.jpg
    IMG_6580.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6581.jpg
    IMG_6581.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 14
JohnRoberts
Yes you’re right!, but I would like to know what the manufacture was and get some data about these well done loudspeakers!

Thanks a lot for your advise!
opacheco
I've replaced surrounds on a couple hifi speakers... they are generic based on speaker diameter.

Last edited:
Just about anybody with a power saw can cut up particle board, make a cabinet, buy some drivers, and make loudspeakers. Many small sound companies made their own to save money.

There were only a handful of driver manufacturers, eminence was one of the largest, may have bought a few smaller manufacturers over the years.

I have worked at/with a handful of companies who made their own drivers (Bozak, Peavey), but that involve serious investment and even those manufacturers bought generic off the shelf drivers for use in lower cost boxes.

This is a long shot but maybe email a photo of the back of the driver to Eminence customer service and see if they recognize it.

JR

Just about anybody with a power saw can cut up particle board, make a cabinet, buy some drivers, and make loudspeakers. Many small sound companies made their own to save money.

There were only a handful of driver manufacturers, eminence was one of the largest, may have bought a few smaller manufacturers over the years.

I have worked at/with a handful of companies who made their own drivers (Bozak, Peavey), but that involve serious investment and even those manufacturers bought generic off the shelf drivers for use in lower cost boxes.

This is a long shot but maybe email a photo of the back of the driver to Eminence customer service and see if they recognize it.

JR
JohnRoberts
Hey! very good idea!...Let me to try for any response for them.
Thanks
opacheco

Those look like relatively ordinary drivers, if it was a European product I'd guess Philips?
As far as directivity goes, cone-and-coil speakers generally exhibit a very good dispersion at lower frequencies, with dispersion falling rapidly as the wavelength approaches the diameter of the membrane, so-called "beaming". So it depends what you intend to do with them...
Apart from that, the box looks fairly simple and is somewhat compromised by the close mounting of the drivers and the lack of internal bracing. It would be a rather resonant box.

Speakerrepairshop.nl has a great selection of all kinds of edges, foam and rubber. They've measured all of them, so I can often find edges for the weird stuff I work on. I believe they ship worldwide. I don't work for them;-)
Have fun!

Back