Mbox with quicksilver mac problem or not ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Hello, 

I am trying to put a PT le system together for home.    Someone has donated a dual processor qicksilver mac, but reading the digidesign site it says to absolutley stick clear of the quicksilver.    I was taling with DDT & he said that this could be because the USB ports are a bit quirky on the quicksilvers.    Does anyone have any experience or ideas on the subject ?

That could be just the guys machine or USB port, I have 2 Mboxes both with loose USB ports, it's just not a great connection system. If I was to get another it would defo be the firewire.

Rob, never heard that one as a specific "no go" but USB and audio has never been very stable.
I would always go the firewire or a PCI card route - no exeptions and I've had zero issues with
these two connections since 1999.

Marty.

If this is an outside client, you might tell them if they lose connection jsut to unplug and replug the USB. I have USB issues generally like that and the 002 and 003 have firewire issues that dissappear with a replugging.

This system is actually for me at home.

Thanks or the tips.

I have been looking at the digidesign website here http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/osx/panther/mbox/g4.cfm & it seems to say that it is compatible with PT 6.9 in the top box on the page.  This is a dual 1 GHz quicksilver.

Yet on this page http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&categoryid=35&itemid=24392 under "not recommended" it says "All "Quicksilver" models from 2001-2002 ".  This is for PT7.3x

Now how confusing does this get ??

The bottom line is that when we installed the mbox mini & 7.31 it seems to work ok, but as I said it wasn't taxed to the max !!

Latest posts

Back