MCI JH-500 Racking

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheriff123

hi all! i’m new into this forum and i’m currently working on racking up a few channels of MCI 500 pres/EQs

this is the first racking up project i’ve taken on and i’m wondering what type of line input transformer was used on the original console. If it’s a 1:1 transformer, what was the ohm rating for it? and if i were to use a transformer with a higher ohm rating (still 1:1) would it be an issue?

thanks!!

this is the first racking up project i’ve taken on and i’m wondering what type of line input transformer was used on the original console. If it’s a 1:1 transformer, what was the ohm rating for it? and if i were to use a transformer with a higher ohm rating (still 1:1) would it be an issue?
Looks like a 2:1
+4dBu is attenuated by 9.5dB for nominal operating level (-5.5dBu). 2:1 gives 6dB attenuation and there's a 3dB pad after the secondary (330r/820r). Taking into account losses that seems right.
Reflected Z at input would be about 5k.
It would nominally be 5k:1.2k, but I suspect the spec would be something like 4k:1k or 10k:2.5k.
A decent xfmr accomodates easily +100%/-50% mismatch.
Using a 1:1, you'd have to change a couple of things: R71 from 330r to 1.6k and R70 from 9.1k to 27k.
That would be a 10k:10k.

Latest posts

Back