Metcal MX-500 - Favorite Tips (STTC)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrG

Hey all,

Just upgrading from my Weller WTCPT to a used Metcal MX-500P-11. I’m new to Metcal so I’m trying to make the best decisions I can.

Regarding tips, the Metcal STTC line that fits the MX-500 seems to have a huge variety of tips, and I’m not finding a simple parallel to what I’m used to using, which is basically a long conical tip, but not extra fine.

So far, I’m thinking the STTC-143, or the STC-138.

This is for general point to point wiring of components, connectors, switches, PCB work, working on my vintage Neotek console. General studio rat stuff, non-micro work.

Thanks very much in advance!
MG

Firstly, congrats on the Metcal, I haven't used a better iron.

I'm on the SP200 system and have 3 or 4 tips that I choose from but my day to day is

http://www.okinternational.com/Hand-Soldering-Systems/id-SSC-725A/SSC%E2%80%88Soldering_Cartridge_Chisel

These don't work in the MX-500, but the general shape and size might be useful in tracking down what you need.  I could do everything with just this but I have some finer tips and one larger one that I break out for larger jobs.

STTC 137 is my favorite tip. 138 is similar. 136 is also very useful.
STTC 106 for SMD, 817 and 837 for higher temperatures and heavy duty.
Thermatronics  tips are also very good, it looks to me that they last little bit longer.
The older Metcal MX-RM3 hand piece is IMO better because newer MX H1 AV with metal body warms up too much after few hours of work.

ruairioflaherty said:
Firstly, congrats on the Metcal, I haven't used a better iron.

I'm on the SP200 system and have 3 or 4 tips that I choose from but my day to day is

http://www.okinternational.com/Hand-Soldering-Systems/id-SSC-725A/SSC%E2%80%88Soldering_Cartridge_Chisel

These don't work in the MX-500, but the general shape and size might be useful in tracking down what you need.  I could do everything with just this but I have some finer tips and one larger one that I break out for larger jobs.

Thank you! Very helpful and I will try to find an equivalent in the STTC line.

moamps said:
STTC 137 is my favorite tip. 138 is similar. 136 is also very useful.
STTC 106 for SMD, 817 and 837 for higher temperatures and heavy duty.
Thermatronics  tips are also very good, it looks to me that they last little bit longer.
The older Metcal MX-RM3 hand piece is IMO better because newer MX H1 AV with metal body warms up too much after few hours of work.

Great to hear you dig the older handpiece. I have been debating between these three tips. I think I’ll go with the 137 since I’ve now seen multiple folks say it’s their favorit. Do you not find the width of the chisel to be an issue for tight spots? I admittedly don’t have much experience with chisel tips.

Thanks all,
MG

Got the Metcal and it is a beast. Also got the 137 and 138 tips - both are awesome, thanks for the recommendations above.

Is it normal for solder to not melt and run to the very tip of an iron tip? These are brand new tips, good solder, just the solder didn’t quite flow to the very tip. Tips look good and not black, I used wet sponge and burned solder on to the tip for a minute or so. 

Also, does the MX-500 psu buzz pretty loudly for everyone?

Thanks!
Mark

I have two older station and one MX500. All are dead silent.
Mine tips are fine. Periodically I use a tip activator for better cleaning and contact.

moamps said:
I have two older station and one MX500. All are dead silent.
Mine tips are fine. Periodically I use a tip activator for better cleaning and contact.

Thanks, moamps. This is interesting because after some googling it seems that many people report the MX-500 having a buzz due to the transformer and the RF generation.

Mark

Back