Methods for doing audio tests

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pliplo

Hey guys, i've been trying for some time now to find the best possible way to test gear with audio. After all, that's what we're going for, we hope to build equipment that somehow changes or captures audio with positive results.

I wonder how you guys test equipment with your ears... We all know having a guy with a guitar or something waiting for us to switch pres or opamps isnt gonna work, no one will perform the same exact take, so it probably has to be something pre-recorded we will feed into our test unit. How do you do it?

I made some preamp comparations some time ago using a speaker in the live room, then I placed the mic, and just replugged the xlr on different pres.

Hope it helps

dirtyhanfri said:
I made some preamp comparations some time ago using a speaker in the live room, then I placed the mic, and just replugged the xlr on different pres.

Hope it helps

It does, thanks. I did that a couple times, also for preamp tests. I also tested preamps with a superclean pre-recorded track at like -50dbs, i found the results to be somewhat useful.

I have a keyboard with premade piano, bass, guitar an drum loops, i wonder if i could direct-box-them into my pres and have a look.

The speaker idea is cool cause u can try mics too.

I wish we had something like "group-diy" samples with which we'd test our gear and share it between us, but i guess different converters and settings would make it virtually useless right?

Latest posts

Back