Mic Base / Shock Mount nut thread size

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pariah Zero

GDIY Supporter
So I snagged a U87-esque shock mount from WGTCenter to try out on a couple of the mics I've been building, and I've run into a problem: It was supplied with a number of mounting (union?) nuts that are supposed to thread into the base of the microphone, and none of them fit any microphone I have, including the mic bodies sold by WGTCenter. :rolleyes: go fig. (I also ordered the mount in black, and it seems to make up for the fact they didn't have one, they gave me two of the pewter ones. At least I know how to paint...)

Anyway, it seems that all of my mic bodies - be they BM-700, BM-800, the WGTCenter U87-clones, or any of the other bodies, all have threads on the outside of the XLR connector at the base of the Mic, and they all appear to have the same diameter and same number of threads per inch. The base of all the mics have no problem screwing into each other, for example.

As far as I can tell, it uses imperial measurements, 0.855" and 26 TPI (Measured with calipers and a thread gauge).

1664675865766.png

Does anybody know:
  • What that kind of nut is called?
  • What the Nut specification actually is?
  • Where I could a couple of generic ones?
Sadly, my lathe doesn't have thread cutting abilities... otherwise I'd just cut my own out of aluminum or brass.

Latest posts

Back