Mic Capsule Wire Gauge?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimothebeatmaker

Im seeing a big difference in the thickness in the Mic Capsule wire gauges coming from some of the "Genuine Neumann used K87" capsules on Ebay and Reverb.com

They look quite thin like the WGTcenter mic capsules and knock off capsules I see around the net.  Do you think these have had work done on them?  I dont trust them to tell me the truth.  Does the wire gauge thickness have an impact on the sound of the mic capsule and how it performs? 

Wire actually has resistance and inductance. But it's so small that it's only significant with high current. The current from a mic capsule is so tiny that the wire size doesn't matter.

A larger concern would be why you're buying used mic capsules. Capsules get dirty and loose performance over time. Unless you know the capsule is good, you probably shouldn't buy a used one. You can get really good mic capsules for less than $300 USD. I've heard some of the China ones are actually pretty good but personally I think I would just get one from a reputable dealer who is going to test it properly and has an honest QA process. Unlike an electronic circuit, it's quite difficult to test an acoustic device.

mechanical properties of the wire and how it is physically fashioned can contribute to undesirable resonances

Latest posts

Back