mic locker advice, the actual locker part

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Any suggestions on DIY or otherwise of making of a physical locker to store mics.

We have something at the studio currently but I don't like it. It's a set of file cabinets.  I would prefer something else.  I thought about a tool chest on wheels but those are too expensive and would need further customization to make work. which I wonder why they are so pricy anyway, not much too them.  But anyway

Basically I am looking for something we can lock up that has a bunch of slots that are padded, kind of like a mail sorting thing but different sizes to match the mic. The idea being we could keep the tube mic and PSU's together as well as hand the ribbon mic properly.
any suggestions?

I like drawers, but any of this work well for me

stevealbini6miccupboard-V.EQiasDiPrjzQYtfuLMcHx7rmGotG75.jpg

Steve-Albini_38.jpg

eJJqg0a_FdKBhkZPM5RUUDpOc3BxZg8pRvrn36b0beYJ_tI5sF-Ys-IBLbNp-Gxxgg-WNL9yKz7VWwt2NOnLAWerLmUftnJ534DrKdVhSlI

d0Ir2Qz7Yg05oTqnaKcmfQUd5y5vx_LQCMd_7N70x75tYfDKedYn-Unc8lXSP56SM3J_3iF7BFOtuWOcjdLZyvOkBiljDLty7PXbCm6zGyP-OwiQfwZhNVK8ew

MIcrophone-locker.jpg

3308932177_5c1655c82d_b.jpg

7654611f04931fd53c0ad35906f1970e.jpg

I have seen lockable mail cubes,  that does seem like what you would need.  Don't recall where you would buy something like that though.

Seeing as you're in the states how about gun cabinets? Secure and fairly large.

Last edited:
If you're anywhere near one of the big surplus GovPlanet locations, they always have lockable tool chests and stuff like that for cheap. They're military surplus supplies auctioned via Ritchie Bros. Hell, you'll even see the odd compressor/limiter sell on there. I know for a fact that they sell from Texas, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Arizona, Nevada, and maybe a few others. The only reason I say "if you're near" is that they don't ship some of these items. Many are pick up only.

Back