Microphone with variable saturation/compression parameters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Hello mates!

I've been thinking lately a lot about this topic. I noticed that people designing audio gear lean towards cleanest possible audio path. However, music producers lean towards dirt, artifacts, non linearity. Me being in the middle, I am all over the place, and like to have a choice.

This goes both for tube and SS. mics. We have transformers, tubes, transistors, and they all saturate, compress and affect signal in number of ways. Why not utilize that? Why use plugins, and other hardware when one can do it at the input. On drum room mics for example.

Now here is the reason. I have one Nady 1050 mic with k47 capsule i had time to mod, and it is as clean as possible, and wonderful sounding. On the other side i didn't have time to mod the other one, and the only thing i did was to put plate to ground cap to smooth high end and remove RF suppression caps. Rest was stock, high gain mic with 12AX7 and stock c6(schematic attached).  I used it for a while as a room mic, just for the hell of it.

These days i decided to make it ''better''. I did all the usual mods, low gain/noise tube, lower b+, and I made another great vocal mic, BUT! The magic it did as drum room mic was gone! And i wasn't aware of this magic until i modded it! 

Other example:
One of the best things i ever did was to keep stock transformer, and add Carnhill transformer to the output of Alctron (Neve) 1073 clone. I switch between transformers at will, and boy i am glad i have both of them there. I can say i have two different preamps just because of that! None of them is better, or worse.

The other reason i think about this is that i have built an Gyraf 1176 which  i love, and for the first few days i was using it with bias wrongly set, as i didn't have time to do it. It simply wasn't 1176. But it was great in it's own way. It had long attack time, and output was saturating in totally different way, smoothing snap created by slow attack. I feel bad i didn't write down values for that setting.

Back to mics.
I get very different results by leaving, and removing C6 in this schematics for example. So the question would be, what can we do in existing already wide spread Schoeps/u87/tube circuits to actively manipulate saturation/compression artifacts.  As far as i can tell most of other gear people use have higher level of THD than stock badly biased mics driven at reasonable levels with vocals, acoustic guitars, etc.

I notice that people upgrade mic output transformers for ones that saturate less than chinese ones (mostly in low end), and use them and test with female vocals. I mean, what is the point?

In my experience Carnhill trany saturates way more than stock chinese in GAP and other Neve rippofs.

So what if we go in the other direction, and make some switchable dirt mods? I mean, i would get one more 460 style mic anytime and overdrive all internal components to get most saturation and compression out of it for things like drum room. Maybe even with some kind of gain knob? Add another tube?

Once i sent vocal from daw to a 600:600 transformer and back into daw. I have no idea if it was just transformer, or if i created impedance mismatch, or something, but that vocal returned flawlessly compressed and mildly saturated. I ended up just EQing it a bit, and that was it. 

Attachments

• smapex460-1.gif
    smapex460-1.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 28
kingkorg said:
However, music producers lean towards dirt, ...
Well, that´s what it sounds like, when I turn on the radio-

Seriously, your thoughts are justified, but one thing coming to mind is, with a ´clean mic´ I can choose a preamp for dirty or clean, with a ´dirt mic´, I will only always have dirty...

I have experience the same with bad biased mics sometimes. too clean is too clean. As a master guitar player say more is more.
I don´t belive in one mic for all or one mic preamp for all. I remember I visit Camilo Silva fellow member of this forum at Colombia and he built some SSL bus compressor and he had one set to distort.

there are some things we can´t understand on sound, some natural wildness, even if you try to replicate the distortion with other preamps or equipment it is possible that the best source for that is on the mic itself.

as someone state here in the forum every mic have his use even if it is to stop the door. I like the idea

best regards
Rafael

kingkorg said:
I did mention variable, choice, switch, and pots. So i guess it wouldn't be dirty all the time.
Why should the microphone itself become dirt when you have a (tube)-mic preamp - don't you ?

BTW, are you applying an EQ and reverb already during the recording process ?

I recall hearing Doug Ford (formerly of Rode) mentioning something about a presence-boost thing in a microphone, after the marketing(?) dept said it needed some extra "zing".

https://youtu.be/niZizzHBanA?list=PLvOlSehNtuHv98KUcud260yJBRQngBKiw&t=683

kingkorg said:
Like a mod I did with my Røde NT3, where I turn off built in HF boost, that is in 90% of the time getting in the way.

Exactly, it's that one I am talking about. He answered to me via email and told how to remove it. You just have to love this guy :)
I made a tutorial on that.
He thought it was bad idea, but marketing department made him do it. That capsule is very, very flat. I have 4 of them, all modded (with switch) and I want even moreee! :) I adore it, was my main vocal mic for 10 years.  And there is not a lot of 3/4'' capsules out there.

That series of videos is awesome by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihAG6cMpUlY&list=PL-BGXjnid99lfPnLLstVcSDlKnXQ3EWqg

kingkorg said:
BTW, are you applying an EQ and reverb already during the recording process ?
..... as a matter of fact a lot of people actually do that, me included when needed.  And there are advantages. Reverb is another thing, but in terms of compression with room mics and room ambience, yes, 90% of people compress room mics on the way in. I apply LF attenuation on OH and room mics, I compress them to emphasize reverb.
How times change....  Is there a chance to listen to one of your masterpieces ?

kingkorg said:
No masterpieces here. Sorry.
So do you want to say, that you didn't finish any of your recordings or have none of them been released yet ?

kingkorg said:
If I had any, I would be really anxious to share them. You never know who gets to 'borrow' them.
Ah I see, therefore Michael Jackson,  Rihanna, Beyonce, Lara Fabian - you name it - never publish any record - one could 'borrow' from them.  And "Alan Parsons hired a lawyer that his masterpiece, the 'Dark side of the moon' didn't get published" one could 'borrow' from him - fortunately he lost.

kingkorg said:
Feel free to share yours though.
You can find them on the web.

kingkorg said:
Times have changed, though I can't recall period earlier in history when sound wasn't EQ-ed and compressed on the way in. Except lately, where people want to have more flexibility having DAWs.
Does this mean that you were born after the 80's ?

Latest posts

Back