Microphonics in VF14 and U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomas.borgstrom

GDIY Supporter
Are the microphonics of VF14 important for the classic of U47 or is it an undesirable side effect? I decided to do some proper testing and finally this quite time consuming project is finished. I managed to measure eight VF14 and the results are very informative.

The test setup i simple. All tubes were tested in the same U47 short body (the best I've heard). It's serial number is above 4000. The transformer is BV.08, the resistors are the red Siemens carbon film, the 10nF capacitor WIMA TFM and under the transformer are the standard MP 1uF. The damper for the tube is replaced (they dry and get hard) with the same dense black foam (does anyone know the actual material?). The capsule was replaced with a 47pF NPO ceramic capacitor. I placed the microphone about 25cm from a monitor and played a loud sine sweep. The sound files can be downloaded here

IMG-5010.JPG IMG-5011.jpg IMG-5009.jpg

Before showing the results for each tube I start with some reference measurements. This is how it looks when measured with the M7 capsule

U47 M7 VF14M sine sweep.png
It's a very nice picture of the rich harmonics of the microphone

From now on the amplification is 70dB louder. This is how a measurement of the tube (VF14M No1) with the least amount of microphonics look like

VF14M No1 sine sweep late.png
The microphonics of the tube can be seen as the horizontal lines and have a decay time of about 1,5 sec (i.e. a built in reverb). There's a small line around 600Hz. Besides that they show up around 1,7kHz and are strongest in the high mids. This is where we expect the resonances of the microphone body to be. Short body with headbasket is about 22x6cm ; 22cm = 1,56kHz ; 6cm = 5.7kHz

One problem is that not only the tube can be microphonic, so can the rest of the electronics in the microphone. Fortunately I have a Phaedrus solid state VF14 replacement.

Phaedrus sine wave sweep short body.png
With the solid state replacement the tube microphonics are gone but something shows up around 300Hz. This could be very quiet microphonics from some of the components. So quiet that it can't be seen in the measurement with the tube. The reason for this interpretation is that I noticed that the Phaedrus solid state replacement amplifies the microphonics of the other components more than the tube.

This phenomenon is very evident when I measure a very old long body (Serial No around 500) with the old GN 107 transformer, old carbon film resistors with the flat leads (various brands), 10nF paper capacitor and the flat 1uF MP capacitors. It is the only one I've seen with the original orange damper. All the voltage measurements in this microphone are correct and the capacitors are not leaky. Still I have never enjoyed the sound of it, and the same applies to another even older U47 I've heard. The reason is probably seen below.

IMG-5012.JPG
Original damper

VF14 sine sweep old long body.png
Measurement with VF14. A lot of microphonics without decay below 1kHz.

Phaedrus sine sweep old long body.png
Measurement with the solid state replacement. The microphonics from the electronics are worse. The tube microphonics are gone.

VF14 sine sweep later longbody.png
Heres a later long body (Serial No above 2000) with BV.08, 10nF WIMA TFM, axial Bosch 1uF and the small green wirewound resistors. It sounds and performs much better. The artefacts below 1k are very subtle.

Next image is what happens if I remove the tube damper

VF14 No2 sine sweep late.png VF14 No2 sine sweep without damping.png
Left is with the tube damper. Right is without.

As a reference I did the same measurement with a M269c. As expected it performs much better with a lot less resonance from the body and almost no microphonics from the AC701k.

AC701k M269c sine sweep.png

Finally graphs from all the individual tubes. Not all VF14 without M are rejects from Neumann. For example I know that VF14 No1 and No2 were extracted from some kind of test equipment. I noticed that in most tubes the microphonics got better a while after I turned the microphone on. In one tube it got worse. In a few the noise increased. After 1 hour, probably earlier, there were no changes. Early measurement (about 5 min to the left), late measurement (about 1h) to the right.

VF14M No1 sine sweep early.png VF14M No1 sine sweep late.png
VF14M No1

VF14M No2 sine sweep early.png VF14M No2 sine sweep late.png
VF14M No2

VF14 No1 sine sweep early.png VF14 No1 sine sweep late.png
VF14 No1

VF14 No2 sine sweep early.png VF14 No2 sine sweep late.png
VF14 No2

VF14 No3 sine sweep early.png VF14 No3 sine sweep late.png
VF14 No3

VF14 No4 sine sweep early.png VF14 No4 sine sweep late.png
VF14 No4 - A quite large increase in noise after 1 hour

VF14 No5 sine sweep early.png VF14 No5 sine sweep late.png
VF14 No5 - The microphonics increase after 1 hour

VF14 No6 sine sweep early.png VF14 No6 sine sweep late.png
VF14 No6 - generally lower in microphonics except one frequency

Summary: VF14 are microphonic to a variable degree. The body of the U47 most likely enhances the microphonics. A tube damper makes a substantial difference. The tube that performs best in this test is a VF14M but the second VF14M did not perform as well. All "non M" VF14 are not Neumann rejects and some are low in microphonics. The microphonics are in most cases less after 1 hour. The loudest peaks of the microphonics in a bad tube is about 65dB lower than the signal from the capsule. The microphonics of the best tube is just above the noise floor and about 80dB lower than the signal from the capsule. Old electronics can have a clear negative effect on sound even though they measure correct. The U67/M269 body and AC701k perform much better.

If I was to choose between a VF14 with or without microphonics, I would definately choose without.

I hope you find the test as useful as I did

Attachments

• VF14 No6 sine sweep late.png
    VF14 No6 sine sweep late.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VF14 No5 sine sweep early.png
    VF14 No5 sine sweep early.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-5012.JPG
    IMG-5012.JPG
    828.9 KB · Views: 1
  • VF14M No1 sine sweep early.png
    VF14M No1 sine sweep early.png
  • VF14M No2 sine sweep late.png
    VF14M No2 sine sweep late.png
Last edited:
Thank you for the measurements.
I find it interesting how things changed with the Phaedrus solid state VF14 replacement. I wonder if there are unsupported parts inside the Phaedrus replacement.

Thank you for the measurements.
I find it interesting how things changed with the Phaedrus solid state VF14 replacement. I wonder if there are unsupported parts inside the Phaedrus replacement.
Is it known if any of the Phaedrus' components are potted?

Wow! Now it makes me want to send you my Telefunken VF14k!
As soon as I stumble upon one I will test it. I've designed my own VF14 replacement tube with one 408a (I know it's uncertain if it's actually a 408a inside VF14k) and a small circuit around it. I will present it with some sound clips some time in the future.

I selected the 408a with the least amount of noise and microphonics. I also fixed it with silicone to the socket. This measurement is made in a 1:1 clone of my short body made with Flea hardware.

408a VF14 replacement.png
The microphonics are low but something unwanted happens around 100Hz. Perhaps some component in my clone is responsible for that.

I’ve also a 5906 in a tube base that Chris at Barbaric did. It’d be interesting to see what that does with your tests. Unfortunately, I’ve still never had any time to play that or the VF14k in my 47-type in a Beesneez body, so the Phaedrus solid-state is still the only one that’s ever been socketed in it.

this strengthens my suspicion that this is where the statements come from that certain single vintage microphones are "so 3D" and have a unique "great spatial depth." :cool:
Someone told me that Frank Sinatra's U47 was very microphonic.

I expect that my measurements will result in someone releasing a VF14 microphonics plugin. Just add it to your SM57 and your done.

Last edited:
Are the microphonics of VF14 important for the classic of U47 or is it an undesirable side effect? I decided to do some proper testing and finally this quite time consuming project is finished. I managed to measure eight VF14 and the results are very informative.

The test setup i simple. All tubes were tested in the same U47 short body (the best I've heard). It's serial number is above 4000. The transformer is BV.08, the resistors are the red Siemens carbon film, the 10nF capacitor WIMA TFM and under the transformer are the standard MP 1uF. The damper for the tube is replaced (they dry and get hard) with the same dense black foam (does anyone know the actual material?). The capsule was replaced with a 47pF NPO ceramic capacitor. I placed the microphone about 25cm from a monitor and played a loud sine sweep. The sound files can be downloaded here

View attachment 102653 View attachment 102654 View attachment 102655

Before showing the results for each tube I start with some reference measurements. This is how it looks when measured with the M7 capsule

View attachment 102656
It's a very nice picture of the rich harmonics of the microphone

From now on the amplification is 70dB louder. This is how a measurement of the tube (VF14M No1) with the least amount of harmonics look like

View attachment 102702
The microphonics of the tube can be seen as the horizontal lines and have a decay time of about 1,5 sec (i.e. a built in reverb). There's a small line around 600Hz. Besides that they show up around 1,7kHz and are strongest in the high mids. This is where we expect the resonances of the microphone body to be. Short body with headbasket is about 22x6cm ; 22cm = 1,56kHz ; 6cm = 5.7kHz

One problem is that not only the tube can be microphonic, so can the rest of the electronics in the microphone. Fortunately I have a Phaedrus solid state VF14 replacement.

View attachment 102658
With the solid state replacement the tube microphonics are gone but something shows up around 300Hz. This could be very quiet microphonics from some of the components. So quiet that it can't be seen in the measurement with the tube. The reason for this interpretation is that I noticed that the Phaedrus solid state replacement amplifies the microphonics of the other components more than the tube.

This phenomenon is very evident when I measure a very old long body (Serial No around 500) with the old GN 107 transformer, old carbon film resistors with the flat leads (various brands), 10nF paper capacitor and the flat 1uF MP capacitors. It is the only one I've seen with the original orange damper. All the voltage measurements in this microphone are correct and the capacitors are not leaky. Still I have never enjoyed the sound of it, and the same applies to another even older U47 I've heard. The reason is probably seen below.

View attachment 102735
Original damper

View attachment 102708
Measurement with VF14. A lot of microphonics without decay below 1kHz.

View attachment 102709
Measurement with the solid state replacement. The microphonics from the electronics are worse. The tube microphonics are gone.

View attachment 102733
Heres a later long body (Serial No above 2000) with BV.08, 10nF WIMA TFM, axial Bosch 1uF and the small green wirewound resistors. It sounds and performs much better. The artefacts below 1k are very subtle.

Next image is what happens if I remove the tube damper

View attachment 102710 View attachment 102711
Left is with the tube damper. Right is without.

As a reference I did the same measurement with a M269c. As expected it performs much better with a lot less resonance from the body and almost no microphonics from the AC701k.

View attachment 102712

Finally graphs from all the individual tubes. Not all VF14 without M are rejects from Neumann. For example I know that VF14 No1 and No2 were extracted from some kind of test equipment. I noticed that in most tubes the microphonics got better a while after I turned the microphone on. In one tube it got worse. In a few the noise increased. After 1 hour, probably earlier, there were no changes. Early measurement (about 5 min to the left), late measurement (about 1h) to the right.

View attachment 102717 View attachment 102718
VF14M No1

View attachment 102715 View attachment 102716
VF14M No2

View attachment 102719 View attachment 102720
VF14 No1

View attachment 102721 View attachment 102722
VF14 No2

View attachment 102723 View attachment 102724
VF14 No3

View attachment 102725 View attachment 102726
VF14 No4 - A quite large increase in noise after 1 hour

View attachment 102729 View attachment 102730
VF14 No5 - The microphonics increase after 1 hour

View attachment 102731 View attachment 102732
VF14 No6 - generally lower in microphonics except one frequency

Summary: VF14 are microphonic to a variable degree. The body of the U47 most likely enhances the microphonics. A tube damper makes a substantial difference. The tube that performs best in this test is a VF14M but the second VF14M did not perform as well. All "non M" VF14 are not Neumann rejects and some are low in microphonics. The microphonics are in most cases less after 1 hour. The loudest peaks of the microphonics in a bad tube is about 65dB lower than the signal from the capsule. The microphonics of the best tube is just above the noise floor and about 80dB lower than the signal from the capsule. Old electronics can have a clear negative effect on sound even though they measure correct. The U67/M269 body and AC701k perform much better.

If I was to choose between a VF14 with or without microphonics, I would definately choose without.

I hope you find the test as useful as I did
I am beyond thrilled that you performed this test. Finally we can put the myth that VF14 is somehow magically superior to any other tube to the ground. I've been ranting about this for years, sadly I wasn't able to do a test like this myself to back my claims up. VF14 is rather microphonic tube, and is not by any means ideal tube for mic building.

However this doesn't simplify things. Due to the already complex nature of u47, adding yet another variable of highly inconsistent microphonic nature od the VF14 makes cloning a nightmare on a whole different level.

- Highly inconsistent capsule that ages terribly.

- Less than ideal VF14 which veries a lot in various aspects.

- Output cap, and issues with those.

- Output transformer and it's own complex history.

And this is how you get the milion faces the Neumann u47...

Thank you so much for this! 👏👏👏

Last edited:
Someone told me that Frank Sinatra's U47 were very microphonic.

I expect that my measurements will result in someone releasing a VF14 microphonics plugin. Just add it to your SM57 and your done.
I was actually just thinking about programming such a plugin while reading this thread...

this strengthens my suspicion that this is where the statements come from that certain single vintage microphones are "so 3D" and have a unique "great spatial depth." :cool:
I believe this is why there are plenty of people who are advocates of solid-state for themselves… One less massive variable.

It’s also why I’m so glad I’m so far past over vintage.

Back