Mid Side en/decoder for 500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laguna

Hi there,

First time poster here with some experience. I built some DIY kits and already designed one fairly simple and passive pcb on my own, wich turned out great. So this hooked me to do some more designs.

My current project is a Mid Side de/encoder for the 500 format. The idea is to use the in, aux in, out, aux out of the lunchbox and the power that is provided there. I want to build 2 or 4 of those for myself, but if there is some interest, I can also share the KiCad files once they are finished.
Before I proceed with doing the actual pcb layout, I would like to get some tips or feedback on the circuit from experienced users here. You can find a screenshot of the circuit attached here. If any other files are required, please let me know.

I think I have a fairly good understanding of how the individual parts work, but I only read datasheets and puzzled together the whole thing.
One question would be if this circuit will work as expected or if I should change anything.
I also don*t know about different op amps and just chose the first ones I came across. If there is a better option or a similar one that is just cheaper, I wouldn love to hear your suggestions.
I am also not quite sure about R1 and R2. I added them, because of figure 30 in this datasheet to get better THD, but is this really required or will they cause a loss in level?
Also the bypass capacitors: some datasheets suggest 1uF, some 100nF, some don't have them in at all. What is the correct way to do this?

Again, if you have any suggestsions or feedback, please let me know. It will be highly appreciated.

Best,
Laguna

Attachments

• scematic.png
    scematic.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 63
laguna said:
One question would be if this circuit will work as expected or if I should change anything.
I also don*t know about different op amps and just chose the first ones I came across. If there is a better option or a similar one that is just cheaper, I wouldn love to hear your suggestions.
I am also not quite sure about R1 and R2. I added them, because of figure 30 in this datasheet to get better THD, but is this really required or will they cause a loss in level?
Also the bypass capacitors: some datasheets suggest 1uF, some 100nF, some don't have them in at all. What is the correct way to do this?
R1 and  R2 are not needed. Bypass capacitors may be about 100nF, MLCC type  is just fine.
More info about MS designed with THAT ICs  you can find here
https://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=262

Thank you very much for the feedback. This is highly appreciated.

I am aware that this could be done passively, however I want to learn about making active circuits. Also high quality transformers are quite expensive, so I assume op amps are the poor man's choise here. :D

Back