Midas venice overhaul

Help Support GroupDIY:

capashizzor

Hello all, thanks for letting me in !

I've had a midas venice sitting idle for some years and decided to make it more fit for my studio needs. I bought it new back in the day, and wasn't comfortable with that much money collecting dust, so I gathered all the schematics (which I'm willing to share of course) and devised a three-step plan :

1) Replace all the caps values in the EQ section to have a lower low-cut, a lower low-shelf, wider Q for the swept mid bands, and a higher high shelf. Since I like to keep formulas outside of my head I re-created all the separate circuits on EveryCircuit to test new values, here they are :

low cut : EveryCircuit - Low cut
low shelf : EveryCircuit - low eq
low mid : EveryCircuit - low mid eq
high mid : EveryCircuit - high mid eq
high shelf : EveryCircuit - high EQ

You can scope the result while changing values in real-time with the tools under the schematic.

The cap values are meant to match the WIMA fkp2 and fkp3 available values.

2) Since I like the sound of mic input transformers fed with line level like I have on another very old mixer, I will try to fit a carnhill VTB9045M 1200:1200 mic input transformer with a mu-metal can behind the xlr connector PCB. There are 2 phantom blocking caps to remove, 2 rows of 3 pcb connections for the primary and secondary, and a fixing hole for each transformer as explained in the mod manual from midas.

3) With the help of a colleague of mine who's been raised by a cabinet maker, we are going to replace the plastic sides with an acceptable wooden frame, that will support a VU-meter bridge fitted with sifam AL19 meters that will be fed by the unused unbalanced inserts on all mono channels, groups, and master.

That's it, I hope this thread will maybe bring back some love for these now inexpensive desks, I'm also hoping some of you would share their ideas, insights, warnings etc.

cap

Last edited:

Tubetec

Its probably the greatest analog live console of the last 20 years , but dont try polishing a turd as the saying goes ,extract a few caps and measure out of circuit ,if there not out of spec dont bother exchangeing new lamps for old .

capashizzor

I'm changing the values of the EQ caps to have different EQ curves, maybe I explained it in a weird way

k.steeze

Hey capashizzor,

So your Venice has mic input transformers?  Did you buy them as an upgrade option from Midas way back when?  I've been wanting to add transformers to mine forever, but no one could ever give me any info about them.  What model board is yours?  Thanks!

capashizzor

I tried to buy the intended "vint-x M" transformers from EVI audio here a few years back to no avail but the salesman provided me with mounting information, so I bought 24 carnhill vtb-9045M and have already modded 2 channels. Wiring is simple, you just need to remove 2 48v blocking caps and wire the transformer primaries in series to the positive side of where the caps were, and the secondaries in parallel to the negative side, then the mu-can pin to the chassis ground, and the internal shield pin to signal reference. The hard part is to fit them in, they are too large to fix to the connector PCB so I have them with 8 cm wires and glued to the bottom of the chassis

Latest posts