Midas venice overhaul

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Venice 320 with quite a few channels gone - I suspect blown from 48v misuse. Are the parts hard to get and replace? Op-amp? Cheers.

I have a Venice 320 with quite a few channels gone - I suspect blown from 48v misuse. Are the parts hard to get and replace? Op-amp? Cheers.
If the Line ins work on the channels that the mic ins don't work the problem
is one or Both of the 3R9 resistors on the back PCB by the XLR in will be open.
Very common problem when using Mic level TT /1/4" Patch bays by shorting out the 48V when patching.

Quick test... Check With an Ohm meter between XLR pins 2 and 3. if it reads open you found the problem.

PITA to replace but can be done. Easiest way.... solder new Rs on the exposed side of the pcb.
don't bother to pull the old open ones.

BTW.. use a XLR bay for mic level

Gary

Attachments

• VEN_MIC.gif
    VEN_MIC.gif
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Been absorbed in work and other issues for some time, but I'm getting back to it ! After reading a thread here about the correct wiring of input transformers cans and internal shields, I discovered that the venice is a giant pin 1 issue, chassis is connected to signal ground at every possible connector, so it's been a pain to cut many PCB traces and figuring how to bring 48v ground in a clean way :
1687906417957.png
This is 8 channels done with leads for the transformers, I removed the 48v switch cap and soldered a new one on the other side directly on pin 1 of the xlr connectors, same for the switch resistor, on the other side is a solid copper lead between pin 1 leg and the sleeve of the line input connector that's bolted to the chassis. I cut all the ground legs of the TRS connectors with a dremel because they were all connected to signal ground, so I guess I won't be using the unbalanced inserts anymore ...

If the Line ins work on the channels that the mic ins don't work the problem
is one or Both of the 3R9 resistors on the back PCB by the XLR in will be open.
Very common problem when using Mic level TT /1/4" Patch bays by shorting out the 48V when patching.

Quick test... Check With an Ohm meter between XLR pins 2 and 3. if it reads open you found the problem.

PITA to replace but can be done. Easiest way.... solder new Rs on the exposed side of the pcb.
don't bother to pull the old open ones.

BTW.. use a XLR bay for mic level

Gary
There are fuses next to each of those resistors too, they could be blown !

EDIT : those are RFI shunt caps to chassis not fuses, ditched them as well as the 3,9 ohm resistors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back