[MIDI/loopers] drummachine-like pattern changing ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi all,

Please allow me to pick the collective wisdom here about pattern-changing, since I guess there'll be more than a few MIDI-users here.

I'm looking for functionality as on old drumcomputers that you have a pattern/loop playing
and repeating until you press another one, and you can already do so _during_ the
present one still finishing it's present cycle...

So when the first pattern has finished its present cycle it switches over to the newly selected one,
which you've already selected in advance (before it actually needs to start)

... but now with own phrases, preferrably as audio/complete sample-phrases.

... and footcontroller-selectable, so by MIDI-notes or -program changes.

Is this a piece of cake for for instance Akai MPC-type boxes etc ? (I've posted on the Akai-list already, let's see what they can tell)
Other suggestions ?
I've experience with 'normal' samplers (Akai, Roland etc) & various phrase-samplers, but not the MPC-style.

Without doubt there'll be software that does this, but I wouldn't want to go the laptop-route right away.
But if you know them, please do mention programs that could do this, I'm not familiar in this area either.

I'll also be trying a combination of gear I already have:
MIDI-footcontroller that selects patterns (by means of program changes) on an old Alesis HR-16
which sends out a MIDI-note that triggers the desired audio-loop on a phrase-sampler.
I expect that to work, but it'd be nice to have these two boxes combined into a more modern day piece of gear.

Thanks!

Peter

Best way to do it so far seems Ableton Live (anyone experience with it ?), but I'm not sure yet I'd like to be notebook-fiddling for this....

So please keep them coming those suggestions :wink:

Thanks,

Peter

Get an MPC1000 or MPC2500 with the JJ OS replacement <VERY IMPORTANT

This describes the feature you're looking for:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2/next_s.htm

I think you will be very happy!

I have and use some of the representative drum/groove making machines from different companies. The Akai MPC2500 (jjos), the Korg Electribe ESX sampler, the Roland SP808EX and Ableton Live7. They are fantastic machines and all have strong points.

Although I love them all, and like very much the sound and interaction with the hardware, I think the best choice for you would be Ableton Live. It is versatile and matching tempo for different loops is extremely easy.
Pair it with an usb/midi controller like the AKAI MPD series or Novation SL Compact keyboard with pads and you have a great setup.

chrissugar

Cubase SX W/ any midi interface you choose to use

I havent met really any musician or engineer that didnt like Cubase

even some diehard protools users prefer the sequencer/midi for Cubase over
the Protools one.

Abelton Live in software and the Korg EMX in hardware.
I can't think of a "plugin" that specificly does the operations that you describe
but the idrum and Logic Pro's "808 style" drum plugin are similar.

MM.

Thanks all for the responses, much appreciated :thumb:

Ableton Live seems so far the most promising. Don't have a suited laptop yet, but testing the demo now on a desktop, and if it fits then that laptop can follow.

I've also already a Redsound SoundBITE micro synchronizer upcoming, since while at it
it may be nice to be able to sync the playback-speed to TAP-tempo. A bit too much at once perhaps, but the thing showed up cheap last week so I went for it, despite I do know that it's safer to play to the machine, not vv :wink: .

For that reason I think the MPC1000 route stops, since it can't do on the fly audio-stretching. So far I'm living in the assumption that Ableton can. But perhaps not, but then at least it can accomodate MIDI-patterns, but the Akai can do that as well I assume.

[quote author="ENS Audio"]Cubase SX W/ any midi interface you choose to use
I havent met really any musician or engineer that didnt like Cubase[/quote]
I do like Cubase & agree, it's sure nice & I have used it, but it's not a 'dedicated looper' so I think it's less suited than Ableton Live etc.

[quote author="ENS Audio"]Lets not forget to add Drumkit from Hell Superior to the sample library :razz:[/quote]
:wink:
I heard that one and it was sure nice ! I also heard another one and got Addicted to that one :wink:

I'll keep you posted, also about succes/failure w.r.t. syncing to TAP-tempo :roll: :cool:

Bye,

Peter

Back