Mixer is dying. Time for a mod.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was s2udio,
I didnt have to do that to mine. Mine didnt get really heavy use and the PS was alright in mine, but his was getting some strange readings.

Can I please ask how many browndogs and op-amps total were changed out.
I want to pre-order the parts.
You've been a big help!!!
;D
Thanks
A

For the ones I did:

12 on the output board
16 on the A/D converters
6 on the Mic Pres
4 on the line in
for a total of 38

There are also 2 that run the headphone out which I didnt do and 2 on the tape I/O,...well.. there are 4 of them on the right side of the line ins. By their placement, I think 2 are for headphone and at least 1 is for the tape I/O, There may be some sort of buffer circuit on the Control Room knob and one might be for that but without a schematic, I cant tell anything concrete.

Be careful with what chip you end up using. I did try a couple of others but their current draw was too high for the P/S un-modded. (the OPA 2888 picked up PS switching noise on the output board badly and on the preamp, it tended to oscilate) If you really wanted to get creative, you could use an external 2 rail switched off a transistor to suppliment/replace the +/- 17 rails but if you chose carefully, you can do this without modding the P/S.
For me the NE5532 gave the best performace vs cost and power consumption. I had originally planned to do the signal path caps but ended up only doing them on 1 channel. (I used Nichion Audio grade) but I didnt hear any difference from the originals but agian, my mixer saw only light studio use. If you were harder on yours, replacing signal path caps may be benificial.

Oh man ...Thank so much!!!
Without having to read through the whole post again, Did you replace the A/D converters too?

I will probably go with 5532s as well. SOme of the other posts I read said they used those 55xx series in SSl and Neve.
Lately, I have been bypassing the prees in the DDx and using the inserts to inject different type of prees. I tried a couple of HHBs and they were okay but, I have an old yamaha PM700 that I installed some direct outs. It has a really nice tone to it.

I don't really want to mod the power supply just yet.

It must have taken you sometime to do a re and re on the whole console.

I have been looking for sometime for a mod for this mixer. I know there is better out there but I really like how the console works.
I wonder what console Behringer reversed deisgned to come up with DDx?

Thanks
A

Well.. The Hakko 808 De-soldering gun made the job go really well.. Study the block diagram. Its not a schematic but It will give you some ideas. The A/D converters are AKM and are pretty decent once you get crappy opamp driving it out of there.

Yeah.. Some of the SSL console I know used them. (I have copies of some of their schematics) I have a couple of Neveish like pres (Dont know if a SCA N7s sounds anything like a 1272 but man it does sound sweet) but I dont realy know all that much about them.

I had the console in pieces due to the breakdown of the output board since it took 6 weeks to get the part, I had tons of time to look it over with it in pieces. All in all, Id say It took me around 12 hour pread out over a few days to do the whole thing, including the disassembly, reassembly, and troubleshooting.

The closest thing I could find to how this looked was the Yamaha 01. Ive never toyed with an 01 so I dont know what the software looks like but the board layout is almost the same. I have played with an 02R and the software is different from the DDX but I dont know how different a 02R is from an 01.

Hi antone,
NE/NJM5532 is one o the most common opamps for serious audio. it is a very quiet opamp at a low price point with moderate current draw. OnSemi is reputed to do the best sounding variant of this opamp, nevertheless I had very good results with TI variant as well.
BTW I even found OnSemi 5532 in huge TAB (telefunken) desk modules of their latest series....as their standard chip opamp - these are very high quality modules (while not very vintage...)
Nowadays, better opamps hit the market, I want to mention MC3378 with much higher slew rate (but also higher current draw), which can substitute 5532/4580/4560 most perfectly *if* the psu is capable of the current draw. It is cheap and reliable and one of Ted Fletchers favourites (for a good reason!).
If current draw is not a prob, you can always try to substitute with FET opamps like the OPA types series...
Please note that MC3378 for example needs probably additiional stabilization with a small poly cap, that might be soldered preferrably directly to the opamp. This is because it is much faster than the standard 8MHz and may tend to oszillate without this change. But still, this is a very easy mod with great effect in regard to the much higher slew rate.
I use NE5532 and MC3378 everywhere where no FET opamp is needed, and sometimes I even replace TL072 with one of those although it depends on the circuit (some really -need- a FET).

Mylithra, nice to hear that you have this good results with your complete mod!

Kind regards,
Martin

Guys, Thanks so much for your time!!!!! You've been plenty helpful.

I did own a yamaha 01V but got rid of it. The DDx was plenty better at the time.
We have few electronic parts shops around here. I'm gonna see what they have in stock (if anything) first.
Again, Thanks
Antone
:)

Update to psu recap as promised ................sorry about the grubby workbench....very busy at the mo!
All the caps were replaced, the dc smoothing ones with 130 deg low esr higher voltage ,quality caps
The originals although 105 deg types,look like cheepie chinese ones
sorry didnt take any pics of the originals,they were binned rapidly

the finished article

This was a tight fit !

The new caps were 12.5 mm dia,the originals 10mm

I mounted the tight packed ones slightly raised off board with silicon sleeving
on the legs to prevent shorts and give extra support,some juggling required !

And had to bend the heatsink on the rec diodes to allow space.

Pack em in !

And finally finished !!
A blob of silicon here an there, to stop any excess movement

Works a treat,all digital interference garbage vanquished.
total cost about £18.00
If your DDX is 5 yrs plus do yourself a favour !!
you'll be glad you did

antone said:
Hey
How was the power supply board to de-solder and solder on?
awesome
A
No problem to desolder/solder at all,in fact i resoldered all the pads just for good measure
all in all a very "industrial" single sided board.

Hey s2udio
That is really nice work and pics ???. How many caps did you end up changing? Did you keep track.
A

For anyone who may be interested, please see the following Ebay item number 280834224471

The auction includes DDX3216 desk (faulty), Recapped PSU, full Schematic diagrams, Full opamp modification components and TDIF I/O board.

Latest posts

Back