Mod tube power supply to work with Rode K2

Help Support GroupDIY:

caluamar

Shouldn't be hard. Basically reverse diodes and capacitors + switch out stabs. I've changed the heater this way in a t.bone Retro Tube II supply.
Hi, would be nice if you explain How did you mod the PSU a t.bone Retro Tube II to work with a K2 Rodé or NTK, please could you share this Information?

evil grill

I have not modified a supply to work with any Röde mics. If you want -V instead of +V just reverse diodes and capacitors and change voltage stabilizers and transistors + be careful with pinout. The retro Tube II supply has a 7806 & diode for heater supply if I remember it right. I changed it to 7906 and did some small changes since the pinout is different.

caluamar

Hi, would be nice if you explain How did you mod the PSU a t.bone Retro Tube II to work with a K2 Rodé or NTK, please could you share this Information?
Thanks! I already mod the pinout but I got. Pin 1 - 6,6, I have no Idea to Reverse capacitors and Transistors, I thought That You did it,
Anyways thanks, if you have some links or Data would be nice too.

caluamar

I have not modified a supply to work with any Röde mics. If you want -V instead of +V just reverse diodes and capacitors and change voltage stabilizers and transistors + be careful with pinout. The retro Tube II supply has a 7806 & diode for heater supply if I remember it right. I changed it to 7906 and did some small changes since the pinout is different.
I have tried changing the diode to the 7906 but I still don't understand why the T. Bone Retro II doesn't work with the Rode K2.
I have reversed the pins, and I have come to this conclusion:

K2 Retro Bone II

1 . 0,7 0
2. 0,1 0
3. 0,1 0
4. 148,5 140
5. 143,5 150
6 . 29,1 0
7. 0 - 120. 0-120

Does anyone know why pin 6 has no voltage ?
And pin 1?

deniz

Hi Andreas, So the -125V and -5.8V on the board read as they should...actually the -125V was more like -120V...but I did use an analog meter, so...However, still no voltage reading off 7 pin. This unit is relatively new to me and I hadn't even listened to the mic through this PSU yet. So with getting no reading on pin 7, I plugged in the PSU to a preamp to do a listening test and see if the pattern knob had any affect. Low and behold, turning the pattern knob did NOT affect the mics pickup behavior. Then to rule out the potential of the mic itself being the source of the issue, I plugged in my other K2 and the result was the same. So..it's starting too look like my amateurish understanding of electronics may not be the biggest problem with this PSU! (-;.

Hi, where you able to fix it? I'm having the same issue.

deniz

I managed to fix it. It was probably a cold joint. I desoldered the pot and tested it with alligator clips and it worked. I soldered it again and it's fine now.
By the way the pot is 100k linear. If you want the same pot style it's made by Vishay.

Last edited:

Latest posts