Modded SCT2000/Nady TCM-1050/GT-2B Frequency Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maliq

Hi Folks,
this group seems to always be my last hope shoortly before i loose my minds when it comes to modding and microphones.

I'm still no expert when it comes to electronics and modding but i think i researched alot those last years and builded some gear like different EQ's, preamps, mic upgrading (as far as i could) and other stuff like 2 x Sound Skulptor Mp 5.66 Tube pres  which are my go to preamps in the studio.

Back to my problem. My "Baby" as i call my favorite microphone is a modded sct 2000/Nady TCM-1050/GT-2B. I only use it for vocal recordings, female and mostyl rap/singing type vocals.

C9 / C10 / C6 Removed, capsule changed to a Maiku K47 and changed the OT to a Advanced Audio BV08 Dual Bobbing.
Tube is a Goldpin EH 6072a Tube.

C8 to a 400V 1uF and one time also with a 2uF 250V Cap

Change Z5 and Z6 (D5 & D6) in the power supply from 72v Zeners to 62v zener diodes.

I put it up against a Neumann TLM-103, and against the Slate VMS, i kept my "Baby" and returned the Neumann and Slate.
My "Mic" sounds warmer and smoother, and not so "bassy" then the TLM103. I've used my Motu M4 Audio Preamps to test it in a blind shoutout and of course my Mp566 tube preamp which i always used to record Vocals in the Studio.

I might be spoiled by this mic but what bothers me alot is the "Esses" and "Shhsss". I need to use one deesser first to reduce Frequencys around 6,1Khz (very sharp "ess") around 6dB. Then after adding my mix chain, which is basically a neve and pultec vst plus some compression (not much) i need to do some manual deessing again (about 6db again) a deesser would make the vocal to "dull" at this point. The sharp frequencys range from 3.8khz up to 6,3khz

My (maybe stupid) question is, can a solder joint, or to much tubes in the chain cause this problem? Can i change a component, since the K47 is allready the smoothest capsule. It can also be my voice of course and i simply have to live with it!!!

Somehow i can remember i recorded with a similar modded mic, just a AA Ak47 capsule and a more simple GZT 6.5:1 OT from 3U Audio. I think i've not changed the PSU voltage back then and i used a more simple SPL Goldmike. The vocals sounded very nice and also smooth allready.. sometimes i start to regret my updates with more expensive stuff.

Anyway, maybe some of you got an idea, if you need pictures i can upload some from the mic.
I wonder how my mic compares to a Diy D-47 Mic... damn so many questions

Lately i thought about to buy a AT 4060 Tube mic but maybe i regret this also...

All the best and thanks guys.

Without a schematic it is difficult to tell what  C6, C8, C9 and C10 are, or do in the circuit.
With a schematic it would be a lot easier to give a useful advise to improve this microphone.

This should be the same as the Apex 460 circuit, according to Recording Hacks http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Nady/TCM1050

I applied (most of) the "Fox mini mod" http://www.foxaudioresearch.ca/The460secret.htm on my Apex 460B (I left the original transformer in) and put a 3U Audio M7 in it http://3uaudio.com/cp.asp?id=696 and the sibilance problems are gone.  BTW, I also have the same M7 in my D-47FET DIY and is sounds great there, too.  These two microphones are still quite different, though.  I like them both on my voice (male, high baritone), but YMMV.

You might try the 3U Audio M7 (this sounds like a commercial).

I'll second what doqmemory said. It's the Apex 460 circuit. I did pretty much the same thing. GT-2B, Fox mini-mod, Guosheng's killer 3U M7, plus a nice tube from Bowie. The M7 really tames the sibilance and gives it a nice vintage-y roundness.

I also de-soldered the stock tube and put in a tube socket, which required a bit of finessing. To fit the adjusted length of the tube+socket, I also had to remove the transformer cover, which involved de-soldering the transformer and re-seating it just under the PCB. The stock pin holes in the tube pcb are a bit smaller in diameter than the spacing of a 9 pin tube socket so I had to also bend those socket pins in a bit to get them to fit. It was a bit of a process, but it worked and I love the way the mic sounds now.

Thanks alot, that looks interesting. I kinda fixed the problem but I'll take a look into those mods and i gotta say the 3U Audio M7 looks promising, someone know how much it is? I allready bough a few parts from 3U Audio. good company !

Regards

Thanks alot, that looks interesting. I kinda fixed the problem but I'll take a look into those mods and i gotta say the 3U Audio M7 looks promising, someone know how much it is? I allready bough a few parts from 3U Audio. good company !

Regards
How did You solve the problem? I have the same mic and i wanted to do the mods You described. Can You give me an advice?
Best Regards
Till

Completely off the main subject...
The OP asked about getting a AT4060 and wondering if they would regret it. I have a AT4060 and I also have multiple U47 (ish) mics and have had some real U48 mics in the studio from time to time. The AT4060 sounds nothing like a U47. It has a much airier sound and lacks the big lower mids of a U47. It is not one of my favorite vocal mics. OK.. back to the topic.
BTW, I have the TCM-1050 and did all the mods and installed a Beesneez M7 (that may be defective, I think there is some contamination under the diaphragm). So far I don't care for it so it sits on the shelf. I've thought about getting a different capsule for it. As I said, my M7 may be defective. I have a BN K7 in a different mic and love it, so Ben does make very nice capsules.

This should be the same as the Apex 460 circuit, according to Recording Hacks Nady TCM1050 | RecordingHacks.com.

I applied (most of) the "Fox mini mod" The 460 Mini-Mod on my Apex 460B (I left the original transformer in) and put a 3U Audio M7 in it 3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones and the sibilance problems are gone. BTW, I also have the same M7 in my D-47FET DIY and is sounds great there, too. These two microphones are still quite different, though. I like them both on my voice (male, high baritone), but YMMV.

You might try the 3U Audio M7 (this sounds like a commercial).

So no changes to B+ needed? Can't find a schematic.
I have a 3U M7 that I want to use for a tube microphone.

Last edited:
So no changes to B+ needed? Can't find a schematic.
I have a 3U M7 that I want to use for a tube microphone.

Hey @evil grill
I took a screenshot long time ago on the Advanced Audio forum (can no longer open that page!)
Concerning this very same type of mod by a member called "lizardville". See pic (red circle).

Also inspiring : t.bone SCT2000 (Apex 460) - U47 mod with both halves of the tube in parallel

I went a completely different way and butchered the poor thing and made it into a Franken-Mic.
Sounds really really nice now... :) Might still have a schemo. lying somewhere?

M

Attachments

• AA-Europe forum-SCT2000.png
    AA-Europe forum-SCT2000.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back