molex connector spec for MCI 2" tape machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ombudsman

I am trying to help a friend who is not online (!) get through some issues with his studio. One of which seems to be the 12 pin Molex connector labeled J2 in the "chimney" power supply for an MCI JH16-24 deck. It's pictured in the below link.

I tried to go through Molex catalog info (having never really needed to deal with them before) but there are a large number of parameters and I'm not sure what some of the terminology means.

Has anyone here replaced this part before, or come into possession of any MCI schematic/parts list info that might have  a part number or the exact specs for this thing ?

I would like to get both sides of this connector, x2 because it's intermittent and the same connector is probably used at the other end. Or if not, he would have a spare.

any help appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vvEzCbi71iOEd0bUk5cWtXUk1Jd05rUERsdm1XeURFMUxJ

If the distance between pins is 3.96 mm, then it is Molex KK396.
If there is 12 pin in the connector then you should  ask for:
Part Number: 26604120
Part Number: 09503121
Part Number: 08500008 (pins)

Awesome, thanks moamps ! I will be at the studio again in a few days and will measure it but that spacing sounds about right.

As a veteran of MCI/Sony machines, usually just cleaning up these molexes with a very light burnishing pad or super, super light 800 grit sandpaper (don't overdo it!) + deoxit + Stabilant 22 will do wonders. I'd recommend going through the whole machine (especially if molex pins are looking a little greyed) and doing this to every connector.

Also, make sure none of the spring loaded pins on the female molexes (the connector you're talking about inside the chimney) are bent. This will definitely cause problems. If so, just carefully bend them back into place. Good luck!

thanks jdurango. One of the pins definitely was definitely wanting to point in a different direction in the others. We haven't tried cleaning them yet and may be getting to that shortly, but this particular one was previously repaired and is missing part of a corner around where it is screwed in place and I don't like the look of the repair, so I just want to replace it altogether.

Back