MXR Bass Compressor (M87) guts - 1176 pedal clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Ok, so i just compared this guy against my Gyraf 1176 and couple of 1176 plugins and i have to say i am stunned. The thing measures, works and sounds exactly as it should. Spot on attack/release times.

It takes line level no problem, it has specified max input level at +14 dbV. It is quiet, and actualy has lower THD level than my Gyraf clone with OEP transformers when not compressing. It has Constant Headroom Technology, whatever that might be, it does have a ton of headroom running at just 9V.

Great addition is true bypass compared to the original. Unless you want ballanced signal, you just stick jacks in and out and use it like any 1176. Want ballanced, well just add transformers before and after it.

I even plugged Røde NT3 into it, which is 9V self powered condenser mic, using xlr to 1/4'' adapter, and it worked like a charm.

Anyways, here are the guts. Maybe we get the schematic some day. It would be great to see how they pulled this off. For 100$ used, this is one of the best things i've ever bought.

Btw, it is the same thing as MXR M87 pedal. They removed "bass" in the name, as it was confusing. Bass actually stands for full frequency range, compared to guitar pedals which usually have limited FR range. I've measured it and it even has the same slight roll off in the high end, just like most 1176.

iXZSabC.jpg

2wyg2jH.jpg

aStWnC7.jpg

WaRw1or.jpg

Latest posts

Back