My 1st custom made G-SSL almost finished !

Purusha

QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS HERE

I have a question regarding my Thrust filter components. Does it make any sense to use the poly caps instead of carbon ones? I noticed that on Stephens filter my 90Hz curve went way off because I used the carbon cap for this frequency. Should I use the poly caps for Thrust filter also or it doesn't matter?

Is there any rule where or when to use poly vs carbon caps?

peterc

carbon caps?

Carbon???

Do you mean ceramic?

If they are ceramic, & the cap values are correct, I dont think there should have been much difference between the 2 types. Maybe one type was +-20% tolerance & the other +-5%?

Try measuring them on a multimeter with a capacitance range.

Peter

Purusha

I am moving toward my next step in DIY process. My own PCB layout :grin:

PCB-LAYOUT.jpg

Will post a few pictures when done.

Purusha

Sprint for the basic tracing, Corel for text and precise corrections of the tracing. Corel can import vector based tracing export file from Sprint so it can be corrected very fast and precise in the Corel later on. I went this way because I don't need gerbers at the end since I am using the DIY print to a special folio for this PCBs.

Rob Flinn

Perusha

I'm interested to know whether there is a significant audible difference between you clean & coloured VCA distortion settings ??

lofi

i dont like you, not only do you have a 1968, but the ssl is nearly as beutiful as my wife.!!

i live in awe at you guys, cant wait to show you the mess i will make of a G9 :grin:

Rob Flinn

Maybe if I would put 100K trimmer instead

This would make no difference at all. The trimmer just supplies a dc voltage between -15v & +15v. Changing to a 100K trimmer would not change this.