My 1st custom made G-SSL almost finished !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

I would like to thank Gyraf, Greg, Clintrubber and all you nice guys on this great forum who helped me bring the project almost to the end :thumb:

MY CUSTOM G-SSL 4000-E

1.jpg

More detailed pictures here:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The front panel came out a little different than what I planed in the beginning. I wanted black print a golden surface, but the guy who made them couldn't do it without any complications so I went with black one and it turned out just great. Very happy.

5.jpg

So far I need to wire the ins and outs and check for some errors on my perfo-board. Otherwise the compressor was working great when I calibrated it before the true bypass addition.

6.jpg

As you can see there is a perfo-board stuffed with extra goodies - dual Thrust filter, true bypass with relays, double VCA THD trimmers and overload meter.

And the back side:

7.jpg

I also left the option to have a switch for two scale metering. It might be cool when you want to squash the drums :green:

8.jpg

QUESTION

I will definitely have to make new PCBs to replace my messy perfo-board
addition. Is there any nice program where I can draw the PCB layouts?

[quote author="Purusha"]Any suggestions for the PCB layout program?[/quote]
It's been a while since I myself used anything like that, so I can't give any relevant suggestions.
But I don't know what for instance Greg has used for the GSSL-sidechain board & the '283-aux-PCB. I got the impression he got it up & running quickly.

Bye,

Peter

Very nice :thumb:
What do you hear, soundwise, when you turn the VCA switch from clean to color? Does it make much of a difference?

Right now I have to find the error which I have on my perfo-board in bypass section, I'll report back when done. It may take a week or so since I am very busy right now with my studio work.

It might not be a very noticable change but anyway, DIY is fun :green:

Purusha,

That rack looks LOVELY! Well done on an EXCELLENT project, I feel DIY has stepped up a notch of late. I'd love to know who did that panel for you and where you got the rack from. Maybe you can PM me the details if you have time.

Well done again, it truly looks lovely.

Cheers

Matt

Purusha... it's about time you showed us this damn thing!!! We've been talking about it for the past two or three months :green: . But nice work !!! It looks great and I hope you're getting your design parameters nailed down.

I use ExpressPCB, but I can't make Gerbers... only ExpressPCB files. I think on my next PCB design I'll use different software (I'm thinking of purchasing Eagle), even though I'm getting very fast in ExpressPCB land.

BTW - Your caps are in. I just need to get my lazy ass to the post office.

I have to thank you all for the inspiration and knowledge I got here! :thumb:

The front panel was my own design. I used the Corel Draw to make it. For me this is very easy since I do graphic designing from time to time. The front panels were done than at my friend who makes different aluminum boxes and printed with silk screen technique.

I might even make a few designs for different DIY projects (G-SSL, Pultec, Preamps) together with the finished and drilled panels or even whole chassis options available for a decent price here at Black Market. Does it sound like a good idea folks?

For now I will try to use the ExpressPCB to finish what I have started. Greg, how does the ExpressPCB export files look at the end? Can I print the traces then on a special see through folio which my friend has? This can than be mirrored to the ready surface before deeping them into acid.

if you are new to pcb design software, or have only used expressPCB, i would recommend FreePCB. it is a relatively easy to learn program that will make gerber files. Eagle is very complex by comparison, partly because it can do so much more.

the main limitation of FreePCB that i have found is that it will not output all positive gerber files, which is a requirement for the least expensive board houses, such as olimex. and it very occasionally crashes. but otherwise it is a great program.

http://www.freepcb.com

to print the gerber files you will need a gerber viewer (good idea to have one anyway, to check the output before you print). i think they are providing one on the freepcb website now, and there is also viewmate by pentalogix.

ed

Thank you all for pointing out the programs. I did check them but they are all a little bit to complicated for me. I wish i had more time to go through tutorials. Most probably I'll just use the Corel and draw all the tracing there using the grid. It should be easy. Using a few more jumpers won't hurt.
Maybe next time when I'll have more time to relax and study the programs. :thumb:

Purusha,

Have a look at http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

It works like a simple drawing program and it generates gerber + excellon files.

I like it a lot, and it is cheap.

Cheers,
Mike[/url]

[quote author="pucho812"]ehats the clean VS color VCA switch do? obviously switching VCA's but which ones :?[/quote]

It's a very simple addition :grin: You probably know about the trimable 2181 VCAs, yes? OK, I just added the second pair of trimmers to them and a 4x3 switch. One set is for minimum distortion and the second set for more or max distortion. But as I mentioned, I didn't have the chance to really test this one yet.

Actually since we are talking VCA THD levels, is there any good free PC software or plug-in available which I could use to measure the VCA distortion?

[quote author="pucho812"]ehats the clean VS color VCA switch do? obviously switching VCA's but which ones :?[/quote]

I thought it was for switching between two settings of the (2 pairs of distortion trimmers) distortion trimmer....?

[quote author="radiance"][quote author="pucho812"]ehats the clean VS color VCA switch do? obviously switching VCA's but which ones :?[/quote]

I thought it was for switching between two settings of the (2 pairs of distortion trimmers) distortion trimmer....?[/quote]

Radiance got it right :thumb:

[quote author="SALSA"]Purusha,

Have a look at http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

It works like a simple drawing program and it generates gerber + excellon files.

I like it a lot, and it is cheap.

Cheers,
Mike[/url][/quote]

Thanks, it looks great. Got one on the net for free :green: don't ask me where :oops: :green:

Back