My 3D Printed Ribbon Mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use copper shielding on the transformer and I use shielded twisted pair to connect the ribbon to the transformer and to connect the transformer to the XLR. The copper shielding is connected to the braid of the shielded twisted pairs. Everything has to be shielded separately because the enclosure does not provide any protection. It is possible to get conductive 3D filament but I haven't tried that yet. It's hard to say if it would improve on what I have already.

Sorry to pee in the punch but I if you carefully measured noise performance, you would find that noise is significantly less with an a grounded metal enclosure and metal mesh screen that completely encloses the capsule, ribbon, electronics and everything and not just certain parts.

Yup, I thought that as well, but it was not an option with a 3D printed enclosure so I had to get creative. When I was done (after many tries) I compared my mic to a commercial MXL R144 and the noise is about the same. It was definitely harder to shield everything separately but it can be done :) I am using a much thicker, more robust ribbon (Lower output) so a good preamp is a must. That said I am currently working on a preamp to increase the output level. Early attempts were way too noisy with just op-amps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back