My custom mics vs Neumann u87 Shootout (CT12, DaleM7, RK12, 797etc)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Here is great chance to hear how different circuits and capsules interact with each other in the same body.
Behringer b2 is my favorite mic for modding because of detachable head. So i get to swap capsules and circuits.

I didnt try every combo, but few i really like.

The capsules are:

Tim Campbell CT12 in Elam251 circuit with Russian sub miniature tube and U87 circuit.
Dale M7 capsule in C12 flat circuit with Russian sub miniature tube.
RK12 from Rayking, the same as Microphone Parts with u87 and Elam circuits.
C12 from 797 audio but with modded backplate spacer which gave me flatter high end with flat Schoeps circuit

Additionally there is audio of:
A clone of Telefunken AR51 i made in Sterling Audio body  with C12 797 Audio capsule.
Vintage Neumann u87
Another vintage u87 with punctured back membrane, which i actually proffer
And a clone i made of Townsend Labs Sphere mic with several emulations. Of course these are not spot on because of different capsule i used, but i like it! 

The audio is a drum loop recorded aboud 40cm from speaker, identical settings and position. Normalized to same level.
https://app.box.com/s/qx2a43h1ei8th6uctgo0qvmvifp5sx4b

And just for fun and reference here are stock B2 and Studio Projects C1 as perfect ''China Mic Sound'' examples.
https://app.box.com/s/sidlf1ynjs9b9o8bukphedoy2ws1fx7j

The mics will get decent finish eventually :)

XLKj9I9.jpg

kingkorg said:
The mics will get decent finish eventually :)

XLKj9I9.jpg
I think I prefer the RK12 in the ELAM circuit over the RK12 with the U87 circuit. I don't know how to properly judge drum recordings though, but I thought the ELAM circuit RK12 sounded "livelier" if that makes sense. I don't hear any real difference between the vintage U87 with the punctured back and the C12 with the U87 circuit. Maybe there would be a bit of a difference on voice, but in this case the ELAM circuit C12 capsule mic is my favorite sounding one.

I used drums as they are dynamic and full range. I dont like vocals for shootouts as the high end is lacking content.

However RK12 in u87 circuit is insanely close to original u87 but with better low end.

kingkorg said:
I used drums as they are dynamic and full range. I dont like vocals for shootouts as the high end is lacking content.

However RK12 in u87 circuit is insanely close to original u87 but with better low end.
That's pretty cool actually. I'm guessing the ELAM circuit RK12 one has more high end?

Thanks for posting these clips - very interesting. I have to say, I'm pretty surprised at the sound of the RK12. I wonder how one would work in a Royer-like circuit..... hmmmmm....

Ralph

I love it. For whatever reason it is insanely close to original u87 capsule. It shouldn't be as it's edge terminated, but it is closer than any k67 copy i ever tried. It has better low end response though.

I think it would sound great in Royer circuit, one could expect more low end and extreme high end with Royer circuit.

However this capsule has almost no similarities with ck12 it is trying to emulate. But at 30$ pricetag there is nothing to complain about.

Latest posts

Back