'Nearly Free' LDC Fig 8.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

Inspired by this article: https://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/...ctret_Mic.html
I got curious and tried it on an AT2035, and a spare 2035 capsule I had.

Works great - easy as pie; I cut down the capsule clamp/mount from the second capsule, just leaving enough of it to tighten the screw on it, securing the grounding ring and soldered lead. I affixed it to the top/back of the original/front capsule, overlapping the two just under 1/4", with a couple of dabs of silicone (easily cut away later, if desired); taking care not to block/fill any of either capsule's rear vent holes. It's extremely fortunate that the capsules of the AT2035 are mounted in an oddly low position in the head basket; leaves just enough room above for the second capsule when mounted this way. The rubber piece between the top of the original capsule and the inside top of the head basket is obviously removed (this makes the mic a bit less 'roadie-proof').

I refinished the body in 'C37' livery, just for giggles.

Null to sides is very deep at all freq; from top (as one would expect from the vertical displacement) much less so and very bright/colored; not usable.

If an SPDT switch is fitted somehow (haven't done this yet), the rear capsule can be switched in and out, so the mic can still be used as a cardioid. I'll probably try pulling one of the switches from the donor mic and see if it can fixed behind a new slot filed into the bottom edge of the body where the lo cut and pad switches are.

Attachments

• DSCN0786.JPG
    DSCN0786.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0787.JPG
    DSCN0787.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0780.JPG
    DSCN0780.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Success - yes, I was able to remove a switch from the donor 2035 and use it make a pattern select sw. There's even an unused set of holes on the pcb to mount it on, with one of them already grounded; just had to sever the printed connections to the switch. Will still need added screening somehow, around the switch because two of it's pins are now connected directly to the capsules; picks up a bit of hum, especially so since the switch is mostly plastic.

Latest posts

Back