Need Help matching PM1000 to TEAC 80-8

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder_hobo

Sorry if it's a tired old subject but... I've got an old Pm1000 mixer and a TEAC 80-8 reel to reel lying around. I'd like to use the mixer as a front and back end for the R2R. Using 8 channels to track and 8 channels to mix. The main problem being; the mixer is +4db balanced while the R2R is -10db unbalanced. I've done a hefty amount of PM1000 reading and I think I have the solution, just wanted to run it by someone. 

To add Direct outputs on the PM1000 tracking channels, I was going to tap off from C37, leaving it unbalanced. But, will the +4db still be an issue?

For the mixing channels I was going to add line inputs with a switching jack on the + secondary wire of the input transformer.
My concern is matching impedance, the output load of the TEAC is 10kohm unbalanced, and I've read that the board is looking for 600ohm, will this create any problems? Should I just build an 8 Channel DI box?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

I've used a rack of APIs with an 80-8 with sick results. Just get/make an FXLR to RCA loom and start recording. Look for the noise reduction unit as well...

Good to hear someone else is using this old guy.
Yeah, I've got the dx-8, can't wait to get it all set up.

There's no Direct outs on my board, not a huge deal to put some in, more so I'm concerned with getting that -10 unbalanced signal back into the board from the R2R, wondering if I should balance the signal, or just bypass the input tranny? The PM1000 only has transformer balanced XLR inputs on the strips.

Back