Need Help with buying equipment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoNada

hi I am a total newbie here,
I want to get into diy recording equipment like starting with cables and then going into preamps eqs comps ect.
I need to make a list of electronics equipment i need. I already have a digital 60w soldering station, but no equipment to measure like a multimeter and osciloscope. I would be thankful if someone could tell me what i need to test my boards after soldering and to find mistakes/troubleshoot.

thank you
jonas

thank you for the overview, do you think I need an logic analyzer, or osciloscope and multimeter are enough?
cause i found this

OWON HDS272S​

which is osciloscope multimeter and signal generator. It seems good and affordable.
best
Jonas

thank you for the overview, do you think I need an logic analyzer, or osciloscope and multimeter are enough?
cause i found this

which is osciloscope multimeter and signal generator. It seems good and affordable.
best
Jonas
O-scopes are necessary, especially in gear repair.
the beauty in scopes, is you can get them used usually for very little money.
hey pucho
problem is i dunno what to look for
so i found that owon that can do all functions, its around 200 $ but new. So if someone could tell if the

OWON HDS272S​

is a good one that can do all i need would be already nice then i don t need to look any further.
thank u

I prefer analog scopes. they are easier to see. you can find a good tektronics in working order for inexpensive. just search ebay.

as to what to look for? my current scope is a duel channel and does up to 100 MHz, the 100MHz is way over kill as my audio stuff is nowhere in the 100MHZ range, let alone the MHZ range, but I got the scope on the inexpensive and it does well.

You very often want to use several instruments at once so one like the OWON which can be any one of several instruments is not such a good idea because when you set it to be one type of instrument it cannot at the same time be any of the others.

Cheers

Ian

You very often want to use several instruments at once so one like the OWON which can be any one of several instruments is not such a good idea because when you set it to be one type of instrument it cannot at the same time be any of the others.

Cheers

Ian
ok
thank you
then i know i need a couple of instruments, i ll probably start with a multimeter.
thank you
jo

Brymen make some nicely-featured, well-made but reasonably priced meters, if we're talking portable ones. Or there's plenty of "vintage" bench models available on ebay (try to use your "local" one if available, like ebay.de for Germany, and filter the results by location).

Oscilloscopes, oldie CRT analog ones are plenty for audio work, and there may very well be plenty to find locally, even for peanuts. I've "collected" three 80s Tektronix ones a few years ago (almost by accident), and i paid maybe 100 or 150eu in total. Buying these online is less tempting, because they're heavy and relatively fragile items, so shipping kinda ruins whatever deals you might find, most of the time.

Signal gen - for audio stuff, i'm still using my computer, audio interface and RoomEQ Wizard. On one hand, due to flexibility, and on the other hand, my HP 3314A's got a really loud fan...

To be honest I started in this forum many years ago, and I've built all these projects Neve Preamps, API preamp, SSL 9K preamp SSL bus compressor, Urei 1176, Night Eq without ever using or needing an osciloscope. I also repaired a lof of equipment and never had the need for it.

What I really think are the essentials tools are a Multimeter or 2, a bench variable PSU and a component tester.

Multimeter:
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 23.58.05.png

Bench PSU:
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 00.02.53.png

Component tester (tests transistors, capacitors, inductors, resistors, diodes):

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 23.58.52.png

Latest posts

Back