Need small job resin casting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbro

I need 10 or 12 pieces of an odd switch actuator (about 2" long), and a fader cap (10 pieces). Can someone point me to a person in the USA who does this kind of small job? I can supply examples of the parts to make the molds with.

Thanks,
Jeff

The actuator certainly could, but the fader cap will be very visible and I think casting will give a better surface finish. If I'm behind the curve and 3D printing can now routinely give smooth finishes with zero roughness, please enlighten me.

JB

The actuator certainly could, but the fader cap will be very visible and I think casting will give a better surface finish. If I'm behind the curve and 3D printing can now routinely give smooth finishes with zero roughness, please enlighten me.

JB

If you do it in a common filament 3D printer you achieve a much smoother finish if you turn on the option "Enable Ironing", it will Iron the last surface to smooth it out

But you also have the option nowadays to do it in a Resin 3D printer, and that achieves really smooth finishes. Resin 3D printer are getting cheaper every day
If I was doing a fader cap I would do it this way

But you also have the option nowadays to do it in a Resin 3D printer, and that achieves really smooth finishes. Resin 3D printer are getting cheaper every day
If I was doing a fader cap I would do it this way
Thank you! I was unaware of this technology and will investigate.

If you do it in a common filament 3D printer you achieve a much smoother finish if you turn on the option "Enable Ironing", it will Iron the last surface to smooth it out
Interesting! I didn't know that. I believe it's software-dependant. I use Cura, it doesn't seem to offer this option.
+1 for using a UV resin printer.

If...3D printing can now routinely give smooth finishes with zero roughness, please enlighten me.
I have only printed PLA, which typically has a rough finish as you point out. If printed with ABS you can suspend the parts above acetone in a closed container, and the acetone fumes will slightly melt the surface layer, smoothing over the layer lines on the surface. I have seen pictures of parts using the technique, and they look good, but I have never held one, so I don't know what the surface feels like after that.

Latest posts

Back