KM84 DIY Body & PCB kit – CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mics arrived today, so wonderfully packaged. All components in except the 3U transformers, which aren't fitting at the moment. I'm going to try and file down the areas of the PCB that are too tight while paying attention to where the traces are. Is that okay?

Mics arrived today, so wonderfully packaged. All components in except the 3U transformers, which aren't fitting at the moment. I'm going to try and file down the areas of the PCB that are too tight while paying attention to where the traces are. Is that okay?
Absolutely (y)

Mine came while I was out of state…….of course…….l have had all the parts waiting since before they were offered again.

Mine arrived today! Thinking of getting the brass body powder coated locally so I'm not constantly worrying about tarnish. Does the mesh near the capsule come out / would I need to remove that to get this done?

Mine arrived today! Thinking of getting the brass body powder coated locally so I'm not constantly worrying about tarnish. Does the mesh near the capsule come out / would I need to remove that to get this done?
It's held in by glue. You can dip the top of the tube where the mesh is for a few minutes in rubbing alcohol to loosen it.

Edit: tried on a body from the last batch - was able to remove the mesh by hand, just by rubbing on it from the inside with a little pressure. Glue underneath broke up easily.

Last edited:
Also got mine yesterday. The box was packaged extremely well (double boxed). Still have to get transformers and a few of the parts from the BOM before I can put this together. Regardless, I am very excited!

Mine also arrived! They look beautiful. Part of me wants to get them powder coated, another part of me thinks it would be beautiful to see the brass tarnish and age!

Last edited:
I successfully removed the mesh and dropped my bodies off for powder coating today. Getting them done in a simple matte black. I kind of like FarisElek's idea of letting the brass do whatever it's going to do over time, but I just know myself -- I'd end up getting persnickety about it, taking the mics apart and getting them powder coated eventually anyway, so I figure I might as well do it now.

By the way, in case anyone is looking for it, the wiring for the 3U GZT-84 is on the first page of this thread. It would be easy to cut and solder R, B, and Y wires before realizing you didn’t have a G and this silkscreen doesn’t refer to your transformer. (And luckily no, I didn’t do that, but I sure came close!) 😅

Man that is a clean build! I'm so excited to recieve my kits and start the build. I'm thinking of powder coating them as well, I admit the bare finish looks pretty too. What tips do you reccomend for the traffos, I also ordered mine with the 3U...?

Man that is a clean build! I'm so excited to recieve my kits and start the build. I'm thinking of powder coating them as well, I admit the bare finish looks pretty too. What tips do you reccomend for the traffos, I also ordered mine with the 3U...?

What I did to get the transformers in was to use a flat metal file to shave the edges of the cutout. There’s only about a one millimeter border before you hit a trace on any given side, but it’s enough. So I kind of lined up the trafo and eyeballed where I needed to open up the cutout a little, then filed a little off of those spots, tried to get it in, and just repeated very carefully until I was successful.

I also noticed that the wire leads themselves get in the way when you’re trying to get it situated, so you kind of have to manipulate those too. Probably tough to properly describe in writing, but you’ll see when you give it a try.

FWIW, I did this before I started placing other components, to make sure it fit, then took the trafos back out until the appropriate step in the guide. The filing creates a lot of dust, so I felt it was easier to get that done first.

Back