Neumann M49v….they went and did it

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timjag

Well Neumann have finally done it. DIYer 1 corporate smd opamp mics 0

Don’t know if anyone saw Klaus’s review of the Neumann’s attempt to reissue their M49 but seems to have received very little interest - at 10k bucks It ain’t cheap, but hey, it’s a Neumann M49 made by Neumann!

Anyway here’s his review - sorry if this is in the wrong place can’t think where else to drop it. Fascinating that it has what looks like a pentode in it, hopefully we can discuss it’s virtues.

https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=37636.0
Klaus is a grumpy old bugger and old this review would fit well in the old NME’s pseud’s corner! Can’t help wondering if he would be so glowing had they not asked for his input! Lol

One day I’ll twist Austrian audio into remaking the C12 until then enjoy

Anyway enjoy.

Tim

Klause likes it 👍. 249b is an amazing mic. Is 10k to much for a brand new vintage? I probably will never know. I’ve used a 249 since the early 80s. It’s a great mic on numerous sources. Great on most vocals but very nice on guitar, standup bass, Violin and other sources. The main observation for me has been it picks up a non flattering room very quickly and will show that up quickly. It’s not great at tucking a sound into a mix. It seems to always push the sound forward. It’s been a special experience for me in my recording career.

Back