Neve 10x1 Audience Reaction Mixer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 31267 is normally wired 4:1 to make it 10K:600 whereas the 10468 is normally wired 1:2 to give 1K2:4K8. But you can wire the 31267 2:1 so turning it backwards should work. I don't think that was ever done at Neve but that does not mean it would not work. The transformer of course has no concept of input and output.

Cheers

Ian
I've seen a Neve internal document stating that a backwards 31267 was an acceptable replacement for a 10468. Can't find it now. I'm not sure whether that means the factory ever did that. It doesn't really sound like them, but who knows. JLM did a test on it. They seemed to concur. I've done it as a "fix" in a pinch, in a 3405 (3415?), I think. The owner wanted me to flesh out a couple of 2068s into 1066s, and wanted 10468s in the mic inputs. He had a supply of 31267s, so I swiped and swapped. I figured the cue summing amps could take the hit if there were a sonic difference. Never heard a complaint. Also stuffed a bunch into some off brand clones for the same client to see if they'd improve things, and got generally very favorable reviews.

It's great that you have the opportunity to acquire a Neve audience reaction mixer for a good deal and plan on modding it to suit your needs.

Regarding your question about using it as a preamp, it's important to note that the Neve audience reaction mixer was not originally designed as a standalone preamp, so it may not necessarily function optimally in that capacity. However, the T1452 followed by a B338 opamp and VTB 1148 output transformer is indeed a complete Neve preamp circuit, and it's possible that it could sound good at line level as well.

Back