Neve 2254 build with ba185, ba191, ba192, ba283

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought the side chain transformer could be causing the hiss issue but it’s not.
Will try and trace and see where the hiss is coming from, lots of mistakes on this channel already so expecting to find more!!

Nearly there with the limiter, it’s not doing much but I can definitely see it’s doing something.
Just need to get ch1 working the same now, should be able to record voltages on the ba192 and check the ch1 now as I think it’s the amp on the ba192 which has a fault and that’s why the waveform is all over the place!

I can now see the limiter working on ch1 but I have blown something on the b185 pcb as needle is pinned on GR.
I suspect it’s the 2n1711 transistor, want to change this one anyways as I think this was my problem with weird waveform.

Found 3 rogue resistors on the ba192 and tested it isolated and waveform fine, as soon as I then reattach I get dodgy waveform? Must be one of the other pcbs! Will go through them all again and try and find out why

problem is definitely at the 2n1711, have ordered a new one but will also change the other transistors on the b185.
Will also look at F out on b283 as this is down on ch1 compared with ch2.
Ch2 does work well but there is a big difference in level when engaged but limit and compression is off, so do need to trace where the level jump is!

after much faffing around, a cheaky blob of solder under neath a pcb was partly to blame, ive changed the PNP transistor on b185 for another bc214 and ive changed the 2n1711 again, limiting works now and the release time works on ch1, so im happy with ch1 now.
Ch2 the release time for the limiter doesnt work, its really slow, also a fair bit of noise and interference on ch2 so somethings not playing ball on there!!! trouble has been ive had to put right so many mistakes on ch1 i have to revisit ch2 now!!
At least im getting pretty well versed with this circuit now!!!

Hey. Hope this thread is still alive. I have a question about Neve 22254 trafos. So maybe someone is able to help me with this.
According to schema 2254(mono unit) uses 3 trafos: input, interstage and output transformers. For output it uses L01166 and in our days we can use sowter 1717 or carnhill VTB1148. But what about the input and interstage transformers? What transformers we can use? I believe this info will be useful not just for me
Thanks

Cheaper option is the OEP 2:1 A262A2E
Or Vigortronix VTX-101-002 PCB Audio Transformer 2:1 are only £17 each on eBay.
OEP 2:1 A262A2E on Aliexpress costs 120$ not the cheapest one to be honest))
Vigortronix VTX-101-002 is much more cheaper $41.26
What input and intestage trafos have you used? Or you have just output transformer(s) in your build?

Latest posts

Back