Neve button holders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited a big London studio where a friend of mine worked one time , I got the full tour of the of the facilities ,breathtaking stuff .
My buddy took me down into the basement ,where he had VR module out on the work bench. He told me they had a lot of trouble with the VR ,the density of the components and heat produced is a major issue ,as well as quality control issues .

Hmmm....  Not sure what he meant by "quality control issues".
The only on going problems I've encountered have been with the heat drying out the caps, and as Pucho's post, broken switch latches.  :)
Everything else is just normal aging related stuff. The occasional IC, noisy switches, speakers falling on the channels, you know, everyday stuff!

Let's see some of the non common issues
1. Broken Ribbon cable between eq boards

2. The well hidden fuses that cover the aux masters. (Took a couple of days to find it).

3. Broken fiber cable for automation.

4. Failed leds

As mentioned previously
About the most common faults are capacitor failures due to temperature and the switch cams breaking also due to temperature. The plastic switch cams get brittle from heat and break. Caps dry out.
Average under the hood is a 108 degrees which is great for 105 degree capacitors.  By the time you finish a desk it's just enough time to start all over. 
My only issue I ever had, was not checking physical cap size. I once had some oscillating eq's because after a recap had leads touching that was size related. Was able to separate them and no more oscillations.

1) Yeah, the early desk ribbons were a pain, not had a problem with our VX Leg end yet.....
2. Behind the centre section  back panel? Forgotten about those!
3. Touch wood, not yet.
4. Yes, why do some of the LEDs go dim or stop altogether??

Walrus said:
1) Yeah, the early desk ribbons were a pain, not had a problem with our VX Leg end yet.....
2. Behind the centre section  back panel? Forgotten about those!
3. Touch wood, not yet.
4. Yes, why do some of the LEDs go dim or stop altogether??

the fuses I found because the other tech at the time had the aux master out and shorted it going back in.  like the game operation he touched the sides.  so  i come into the shop and find him going  deep in the schematics book.  he tells me he is looking for this fuse  in the schematic. took a good while of hunting to make that happen. 
yeah when ever I had a ribbon problem  would replace them with wires.
Never under stood why led's would fail, I would just replace them.

Latest posts

Back