New Chinese U47 Style Body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shabtek, if you read this, can you elaborate more on your "pingyness" statement? I think I remember you saying the same thing for the M49 bodies that Chunger sells. Anyway, I have a Skylar (47) body from back in the day, where he did all the mesh and grill measurements (according to info provided here) and supposedly got the head basket right eventually. No pingyness from my mic. And theoretically, if the dimensions are the same as a U47, why would there be?

But regardless, isn't it solved easily with a piece of felt or something in the bottom or the headbasket?

Is the ping when tapping the mic, or just during a regular recording situation where you can hear the pinginess added to the signal?

I have 1 of these, a skylar and an aputis to compare; all very close mechanically, the skylar rings a little the aputis not at all only a thud if anything, this NC47 is most pingy--not that it matters but I find neumann heads and bodies to not ring like bells and knock off as well as oktave grilles to be ping-y when tapped.
this is also true for banzai49 vs tlm49

the bm800 and similar mesh is very rigid and resonant, I have tried heating/annealing the head assembly (against leswatts advice)with no success. the solder melts too low and i suspect the plating would be compromised.

the stock mesh (BM800 and likely other cheepies) is much more springy and rigid than brass or even bronze mesh from mcmaster carr

also the cast zinc or whatever 1-piece inner rail design seems like a poor design wrt mechanical resonance

there was an interesting thread or tangent discussion about body resonances and materials etc. IIRC a good idea was to accoustically excite the mic assembly without the capsule to get a sonic signature of the assembly, a mechanical frequency response sweep.

Hi, does the microphone body come with the polar pattern switch as pictured or without as someone says in the product comments?
Nope…but you get a sticker for the polar patterns haha. I got one to try out…not a bad body at all but definitely inferior to other offerings. The metal is pretty soft and easy to work with if you need to drill holes and as others mentioned a little pingy. Now I don’t know if that will be the case with all components in place…remains to be seen once my build is completed.

Nope…but you get a sticker for the polar patterns haha
Ha ha that's really funny!:p

I guess you've already built a few mics, can you give a little overview of what the options are for a U47 style mic body and what they cost? Which body is your favorite?

Edit: One or two photos of the body as it really looks would be great!

Last edited:
Ha ha that's really funny!:p

I guess you've already built a few mics, can you give a little overview of what the options are for a U47 style mic body and what they cost? Which body is your favorite?

Edit: One or two photos of the body as it really looks would be great!
I was using the mk47 from studio 939…I believe it’s an Alctron? Really good body. Here are a couple of pics of the cheaper body in a build I am currently working on.

Attachments

• 2BBFF193-F7F7-4395-A30E-9B6783DC4175.jpeg
    2BBFF193-F7F7-4395-A30E-9B6783DC4175.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 5272B161-C516-47DE-B848-D2308B3C2DFC.jpeg
    5272B161-C516-47DE-B848-D2308B3C2DFC.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 197
Purplenoise, I was going to do a point to point as well in one of these bodies. Couple questions. Do you notice any differences in the headbaskets in comparison to Studio 939? Visually anyway (?) Similar mesh?

Also, did you fabricate the plastic disk thing for the high impedance section, or is that a part available somewhere?

Purplenoise, I was going to do a point to point as well in one of these bodies. Couple questions. Do you notice any differences in the headbaskets in comparison to Studio 939? Visually anyway (?) Similar mesh?

Also, did you fabricate the plastic disk thing for the high impedance section, or is that a part available somewhere?
The headbasket on the cheaper body is a tiny bit shorter…2 or 3mm. The outer mesh is a touch finer but very slightly. Not a big difference between the two heads.
The acrylic discs were made for me by TLRT when I built my first ptp 47. He also build the psu…he does awesome work and he really knows his stuff.

I've seen this ebay listing for awhile now. 24cm 9.5inch Big Metal Microphone Body Large similar DIY U47 Condenser Mic shell | eBay Don't know anything about it. But that first picture appears to have the diagonal mesh out front if it matters. Also, there are two rails, not the stacked standoffs.

If those photos correspond to the actual product then that's pretty good,
the body looks great.
It doesnt seem to have a switch for the polar patterns, it has the cardioid drawing but it looks like a fixed badge and not a switch.

Ebay is a better platform to buy than Alibaba, you have a much better buyer protection and you pay through a secure paypal payment. So you can ask for a refund in case you reveive something that doesnt match the photos.
Alibaba platform is very confusing, communication with the Chinese seller it's pretty hard also.

I think I would preffer to pay an higher price but buy it from Ebay

Purplenoise do you have any progress with your project ? Is p2p the only route with the chinese body ?
Yes finished and worked out great. I believe you can fit Dan’s pcb but you’ll have to find a way to mount it to the rails. The mounting holes don’t align.

Attachments

• B3118751-44C3-4B0C-8483-F27B7740CF3D.jpeg
    B3118751-44C3-4B0C-8483-F27B7740CF3D.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 122
upon further review: watch the details on the ali-mic grilles' construction.

The pingy headbaskets seem to be made of ferrous material, and the plating is questionable--save your desiccant pouchez.

Back