New-ish electret capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKDg9LB

I just wanted to do another heads up on this capsule for couple of reasons.

- It sounds really good, measures great, smooth high end boost, no crazy notch dips, great low end.

- I dare to say it reminds me of a good C12 capsule.

- I have opened one, and it seems to be based on later plastic CK12 type of capsules. Which is a new thing in this price range.

- It can be easily converted into a m50 capsule of 2nd type. Just by removing metal plate at the back, and sealing the vents in plastic backplate. Then obviously placing it inside of a sphere. Yes it is larger than the original, but internal construction is pretty much 1:1 2nd generation of the famous capsule.

- It can be easily re skinned with any material you have available, with no special gear.

- For capsule enthusiasts it can be easily modified and manipulated by adding different spacers, modifying internal chamber by adding or removing matetial ( plastic, epoxy ), changing holes, etc...

- Great for handheld condensers, huge amounts of low end up close.

- By sanding the backplate one can turn it into a non electret, for whatever reason, experiment?

- For this money i don't think there's a better capsule.

Thanks.

I have gotten a handful of them that I sent to evaluation by Tim a while ago, but haven't heard back on them (he's waay too busy)

Any chance you took pics of internals?

Do we know anything about directivity pattern?

/Jakob E.

The disk to the left is the one seen at the back of the capsule assembled.

Attachments

• 20201126_201203_copy_1008x567.jpg
    20201126_201203_copy_1008x567.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 198
I sadly don'y have that precise setup to claim subtle differences between hyper, wide, or regular cardioid, but it is a cardioid.

This plastic backplate holes are sealed by me, i'm building a version of kk50.

Attachments

• 20201126_201325_copy_1008x567.jpg
    20201126_201325_copy_1008x567.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 180
Backplate, and the chamber is as seen basically the same principle as kk50 v2.

Kk50 chamber seems to be deeper, but that can easily be modded on this capsule. Either by adding a spacer, or by removing excess material.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-212502_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-212502_Brave.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 168
kingkorg said:
Backplate, and the chamber is as seen basically the same as kk50 v2.

Kk50 chamber seems to be deeper, but that can easily be modded on this capsule. Either by adding a spacer, or by removing excess material.

I wonder if they set the wave washer by the distance it is collapsed or by torque to set the pressure?

It's by torque to set the pressure. At least that's what i heard. Nicely documented all three versions on Saturn Sound site.

gyraf said:
Thanks.

I have gotten a handful of them that I sent to evaluation by Tim a while ago, but haven't heard back on them (he's waay too busy)

/Jakob E.

I'd be very curious to hear from you or Tim about findings if you ever get to play with these.

gyraf said:
Any chance you took pics of internals?
Here you go.
index.php

The capsule can easily be disassembled with two 1mm drills put into the holes in the ring at the back (shown at the left in the picture) and pliers.  This is recommended for polishing and soldering.

Attachments

• 25mm-electret-capsule-disassembled-by-analogguru.jpg
    25mm-electret-capsule-disassembled-by-analogguru.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 335
Thanks Kingkorg,
I bought 4 of these, and installed the first into an at2020.
You need a sharp knife to cut out a larger hole in the rubber.
A very easy swap, and I like how it sounds. A better top end than the original capsule.

I got a less 'scooped' sound at 180 degrees by plugging one of the rear holes; I record classical, so off-axis response is important. Stock it sounds closer to hyper, than card; with plugged hole, closer to supercard.

Hi all, I'm new here.
I've registered since I wanted to play with the capsules discussed here, ordered 4 pcs, got 3 usable ones and one with an destroyed diaphragm. I've told the seller at aliexpress that I want a new one and they should add a piece of cardbox to protect the membrane to the zip bag..lets see..

Since that capsules seem to be good and cheap, has anyone experimented with stacked capsules (phases array?)?
I think about building a device similar to the Mirkotech Gefell KEM975

https://www.microtechgefell.de/datei/282/KEM-975-Kardioid-Ebenen-Mikrofon_OaQcr.pdf
Kind Regards,
Holm

Hi all, I'm new here.
I've registered since I wanted to play with the capsules discussed here, ordered 4 pcs, got 3 usable ones and one with an destroyed diaphragm. I've told the seller at aliexpress that I want a new one and they should add a piece of cardbox to protect the membrane to the zip bag..lets see..

Since that capsules seem to be good and cheap, has anyone experimented with stacked capsules (phases array?)?
I think about building a device similar to the Mirkotech Gefell KEM975

https://www.microtechgefell.de/datei/282/KEM-975-Kardioid-Ebenen-Mikrofon_OaQcr.pdf
Kind Regards,
Holm
I have done some basic experiments with arrays. However everything i tried creates huge nulls in frequency response, unusable for me. YMMV.

Looking at the polar patterns, the Mirkotech Gefell KEM975 would seem to be a great choice if mounted horizontally in front of a string bass on a live bandstand with drums. Is anyone going to make one up?

I'm about to try this capsule in a Fame CM2 mic, but I have no experience with electret capsules yet. Diaphragm goes to ground, but how do I connect the permanently polarized backplate to the gate of the fet? Since in this Schoeps circuit there are a low voltage applied to the fet gate, should I place a cap between them?

Edit: connected without a cap and seems to work :) BTW it sound super nice!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231207_140926.jpg
    20231207_140926.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231207_140820.jpg
    20231207_140820.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back