new, more accurate Chinese C12 body!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C12VR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1258968820...4wwX2wntXlgApnl711GiUj0w==|tkp:Bk9SR4qB3ub4YQI just found this C12 body. It seems to be from the same guys that make the cheap U47 with the cutout for the pattern switch. What I like about this is that the end bell holding the connector is integral to the mic frame, so if you really wanted you could mount a Binder connector or something and use a swivel mount. Drilled for an XLR. Problem is that the frame is not designed for the common C12 projects. If they even fit, I say just use angle brackets or zip ties. There's also the question of its size; they say it's 225mm, but that thing looks longer than the C12VR. Original C12 is like 250mm. It's also dirt cheap! 50 bucks? I hope it's original size, because I bought a big fat Moby transformer that won't fit in an Apex body with the Matador boards.
EDIT: Actually, diameter is supposed to be 43mm. I contacted to see if they also have shockmount. Will report.
No cool shockmount, just the cheapie one that comes with the APEX and and pretty much any Chinese condenser mic.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yep, saw this on Aliexpress. Nice to see them also on ebay.
I still hope to find a seller who sells those nice C12 style bodies that AMI and other companies use for their C12 kit. I think that these are even more true to the original in terms of dimension.
There was a seller on Ebay in the UK who had some of these but that's quite some time ago...

c12_front_test.jpg

I just bought this one from this seller for 20 bucks. (Hasn't arrived yet)
They also have the U47 bodies with the steel PCB rails rather than the more ubiquitous ones with the stupid multiple brass stand-offs screwed together.
1682680857775.png

I just bought this one from this seller for 20 bucks. (Hasn't arrived yet)
They also have the U47 bodies with the steel PCB rails rather than the more ubiquitous ones with the stupid multiple brass stand-offs screwed together.
View attachment 108404
they seem to have abandoned the brass standoffs. I think they just failed to update the photos. There are still pictures of the old style body with the uglier dull paint, the vertical grill mesh, and no cutout for the pattern switch right next to pictures of the new version.

About shockmounts, I'm worn out on the cheap crappy ones.
Just had the M49 shockmount that came with Chungers body break after only a few days.
Anyone like the Rycote USM / USM-VB? Other options?

Ok, looking more closely I realized a few obvious things;
1: it's probably just perspective. The body is likely C12VR copy.
2: If it is C12VR or smaller in diameter, the APEX460 boards might need to be filed to fit, if they fit at all. Dany's board would probably short out on the capsule connections since they are already at the very edges of the board.
EDIT: WHAT YOU ALL BOUGHT IT BEFORE ME LMAO
I was waiting to hear if they had a shockmount!
I played myself

Last edited:
Ok, looking more closely I realized a few obvious things;
1: it's probably just perspective. The body is likely C12VR copy.
2: If it is C12VR or smaller in diameter, the APEX460 boards might need to be filed to fit, if they fit at all. Dany's board would probably short out on the capsule connections since they are already at the very edges of the board.
EDIT: WHAT YOU ALL BOUGHT IT BEFORE ME LMAO
I was waiting to hear if they had a shockmount!
I played myself

lol. I've been tempted to ask about eBay finds on forums before, but didn't do it for this very reason. Here's the same body on AliExpress:

TF12 Condenser Tube Microphone Body

I generally prefer to buy Chinese items from AliExpress instead of eBay because sometimes you can find faster shipping options on AliExpress. Looks like they just have the standard shipping for this one. Standard isn't usually too bad thought.

Wow, even cheaper! Still, I prefer ebay over Aliexpress. I don't like the business style of this chinese platform at all, and if there are any problems, ebay is way better than Aliexpress, no doubt.

Edit:

Just a small rather funny example, Aliexpress has been terrorising me for weeks with the daily announcement that my order has been handed over to the local postal service and that it will be with me soon.

The package arrived two months ago. How can I stop this?

Wow, even cheaper! Still, I prefer ebay over Aliexpress. I don't like the business style of this chinese platform at all, and if there are any problems, ebay is way better than Aliexpress, no doubt.

Edit:

Just a small rather funny example, Aliexpress has been terrorising me for weeks with the daily announcement that my order has been handed over to the local postal service and that it will be with me soon.

The package arrived two months ago. How can I stop this?

If you're paying with PayPal, I don't think there's any more risk on AliExpress than eBay.

lol. Can you mark the order as received on AliExpress? They're definitely more buggy/clunky than eBay.

If you're paying with PayPal, I don't think there's any more risk on AliExpress than eBay.

lol. Can you mark the order as received on AliExpress? They're definitely more buggy/clunky than eBay.
Yes there is. Paypal's customer protection is the next best thing to useless. I bought an M49, TLM103-style body on aliexpress for the UTM 47FETLB project. ALiexpress said it was delivered April 4. I did not receive it. I contacted the seller on ali and naturally got nowhere so I put in a claim with paypal. After a few days they closed my case stating the seller claims it was delivered so we're closing the case. WTF? So the burden of proof is on the consumer. Prove to us you never received it! And exactly how is one to do that?? I haven't had the pleasure of having to put in a claim with Ebay yet, but I don't see how it could get any worse unless they start charging you to file claims. Maybe that's next.

What makes this 'more accurate' microphone body different from the Alctron HT-11A?
Only the bottom piece with the XLR insert? Size/length is the same it seems.
I would have preferred a longer body, just like the original C12.

Yes there is. Paypal's customer protection is the next best thing to useless. I bought an M49, TLM103-style body on aliexpress for the UTM 47FETLB project. ALiexpress said it was delivered April 4. I did not receive it. I contacted the seller on ali and naturally got nowhere so I put in a claim with paypal. After a few days they closed my case stating the seller claims it was delivered so we're closing the case. WTF? So the burden of proof is on the consumer. Prove to us you never received it! And exactly how is one to do that?? I haven't had the pleasure of having to put in a claim with Ebay yet, but I don't see how it could get any worse unless they start charging you to file claims. Maybe that's next.
Talking to the PayPal rep on the phone can make a world of difference. However, if tracking said it was delivered, sounds like your local postal service screwed up or you have porch pirates. PayPal considers tracking as a form of evidence. Saying you didn't received it when tracking says you did naturally puts you on the losing end of the claim.

Talking to the PayPal rep on the phone can make a world of difference. However, if tracking said it was delivered, sounds like your local postal service screwed up or you have porch pirates. PayPal considers tracking as a form of evidence. Saying you didn't received it when tracking says you did naturally puts you on the losing end of the claim.
Actually the story has a happy ending, but it is a cautionary tale about purchasing from aliexpress. I eventually received it - like a few days ago. The last week in April, yet the tracking showed "delivered and signed for" April 4. First off, packages from Aliexpress are generally left in my (community) mailbox. No one signs for them and porch pirates are not an issue as the mailboxes are key-accessible. The problem was I was being asked to review a product that hadn't even been delivered so naturally I assumed it got lost. The tracking number aliexpress provides does not translate into anything that Canada Post recognizes so for them to claim it is delivered and "signed for" is blatantly untrue.
Now to contrast that with the package from UTM Industries in Poland, the rest of the U47FETLB project, Igor ships Federal Express and I was notified almost daily with the package's whereabouts culminating in a photograph of it sitting on my doorstep upon delivery! I actually forwarded that photo to the aliexpress seller and told them THIS is the way to ship internationally.
Bottom line I finally got my purchase after much anxiety and the lesson is learned. I no longer purchase anything from aliexpress. Even if I end up purchasing from the same sellers on ebay, at least I'm not patronizing aliexpress which makes a mockery of customer service.
I also do not use paypal anymore. I was going to try to contact a human, or even sub-human on the phone, but after perusing their forum and reading all the other stories about paypal not honoring non-delivery claims, I figured it wasn't worth it and was about to take up my fight with the bank that issued my credit card, when lo and behold, the package arrived almost a month after it was "signed for".

Latest posts

Back